150 gallon - looking for inspiration after major fish loss

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have lost my entire fish stock to a velvet/brook infection a few weeks ago. I'm left with a yellow tang and a single clown. Aince I was also struggeling with a really bad diatom outbreak, I was really close on giving up. However, I managed to stabilize the tank and it now running without fish for another 4 weeks. Now it is time to think about the new inhabitants....

Still there:
Yellow tang
Clown

Will add for sure:
A second clown
Tomini
Dragonet couple in blue

And then? I would like to have many colors and different, not so big fish... what are your favorites and specials for this tank size?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear about the tank, I know it can be really rough. I had a power outage last year when I was out of town and lost my 3-year-old, 120-gallon tank with all inhabitants. It was terrible. But I can assure you that a year later, while it still stinks to think about, it is nonetheless exciting to see the new tank grow.

As for fish suggestions, it really depends on your tolerance and availability to deal with fish that are considered more "demanding." However, for color, you can definitely think about some anthias (more "demanding" feeding wise), a sixline for pests, midas blenny, and any other reef safe wrasse as they are always colorful.

Good luck!

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear about the tank, I know it can be really rough. I had a power outage last year when I was out of town and lost my 3-year-old, 120-gallon tank with all inhabitants. It was terrible. But I can assure you that a year later, while it still stinks to think about, it is nonetheless exciting to see the new tank grow.

As for fish suggestions, it really depends on your tolerance and availability to deal with fish that are considered more "demanding." However, for color, you can definitely think about some anthias (more "demanding" feeding wise), a sixline for pests, midas blenny, and any other reef safe wrasse as they are always colorful.

Good luck!
I don't mind demanding fish. Anthias were the ones who infected my tank, will scip those in the future..

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to consider future purchases be made from places like Dr. Reef. The have an extensive quarantine process and I have only heard great things about them.

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to consider future purchases be made from places like Dr. Reef. The have an extensive quarantine process and I have only heard great things about them.
I'm in Switzerland but I know what you mean, actually my lfs is really good in this. It was bad luck

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be careful adding another tang if the yellow has been dominant. I've always enjoyed dwarf angels. Have a bicolor and a flame. Would probably pick the bicolor as my favorite. Good color, very active in and out of rockwork and usually gets along well with tangs. Also I've always had a royal gramma in every tank . Easy to keep & nice color.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be careful adding another tang if the yellow has been dominant. I've always enjoyed dwarf angels. Have a bicolor and a flame. Would probably pick the bicolor as my favorite. Good color, very active in and out of rockwork and usually gets along well with tangs. Also I've always had a royal gramma in every tank . Easy to keep & nice color.
My tang is very social. Royal Gramma should be in a couple. Thanks

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates or progress made on your system?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back