Final fish for 30 gallon long?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 30 gallons 36”x15”x12”

So far stocked with 2 clowns, orchid dottyback, orange spotted goby, and mandarin dragonet. I’m looking for the last fish for this tank. My only open water swimmers and the clowns but they tend to stay in 1 spot so there’s no real movement in my tank. I’m looking for something that will swim circles and be out most of the time is anyone has suggestions!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 30 gallons 36”x15”x12”

So far stocked with 2 clowns, orchid dottyback, orange spotted goby, and mandarin dragonet. I’m looking for the last fish for this tank. My only open water swimmers and the clowns but they tend to stay in 1 spot so there’s no real movement in my tank. I’m looking for something that will swim circles and be out most of the time is anyone has suggestions!
Coral beauty would be ok in a 30.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green chromis, damsel. I like six line wrasse, but mine is constantly in and out of the rocks and can stay hidden quite long. My green chromis are very active and out all the time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty would be ok in a 30.
I disagree… when they say these fish can get to 4”, they’re not kidding. Mine was maybe 4.5” if not pushing 5.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree… when they say these fish can get to 4”, they’re not kidding. Mine was maybe 4.5” if not pushing 5.
I think it would be ok if the rockwork is conducive to a happy exploring angel. I kept a flame angel in a 29G for years. Max size is a thing, built in my experience fish will generally get to 1/2 or 2/3 max size in "a couple years" with the rest of the growth taking the majority of the rest of their lives.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny
I think it would be ok if the rockwork is conducive to a happy exploring angel. I kept a flame angel in a 29G for years. Max size is a thing, built in my experience fish will generally get to 1/2 or 2/3 max size in "a couple years" with the rest of the growth taking the majority of the rest of their lives.
rockwork is definitely not extensive, very open tank
IMG_6871.jpeg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the rockwork you have the tank is already overstocked imo. No where for fish to sleep or hide as is.
I had them all in a 13 gallon for 6 months before I upgraded to this one, so I’d say they’re a lot happier in this! They all have their own spots. The dottyback has a cave network in the arch, the clowns hang out around the frogspawn, and the shrimp and goby have their whole mess of a cave system. And then the dragonet just scoots along looking at everyone. I definitely agree that I need more rock, this is just 2 leftover pieces I had plus the rock from the 13.5 gallon so I plan to add more before I decide on a new fish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse? Thinking either a carpenter or naoko
I wouldn’t do either of those two species in this tank long term.
A carpenter (or any flasher) will become too active and they really do use 4’ of length. Also the turning room when in display becomes very small, even if it’s already small it becomes much smaller.
Naoko, these can become very stressed very quickly in a nano tank. If you wanted a species of fairy look into the pintail, they seem to do best in 3’ long tanks as they are wimps and almost never display even in a larger tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back