150 gallon Megaflow with 40 breeder sump

womenreef2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some equipment already but plan to build a Fiji cube kit sump for my 40 gallon breeder with a DT 150 gallon Megaflow Aqueon tank. I’m making a lot of big decisions and would love some guidance along the way. My love of ocean creatures came when I was 17 years old and scuba dived in Maui to see and be among the beautiful reef and fish, turtles & sharks was the beginning for me. I wanted to capture a little part of that 10 years ago I set up my first salt water tank a 55 gallon with 20 gallon sump. I never managed to keep any corals but had favorite fish for sure. My tank fell apart when I was gone for a weekend and power went out for a long period of time. I lost my tank and quit on all of it a few years back. I want to do this tank right for it will be a big investment. I hope I can receive some guidance regarding equipment and plumbing to begin the process of setting up. I have a budget of approximately 15,000-20,000 to set this tank up. I plan to install Neptune apex so that I can be more precise with the nutrients my tank needs. I don’t have the money yet but will have soon to be able to invest in this project. Thanks ahead for any advice or guidance you may have for me. I worked as an RN so biology and chemistry are something I am familiar with.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for starters, Welcome to Reef2Reef.. AND HELLO NEIGHBOR!

I hope you get the answers you are looking for.. Remember, we are guidance and not always spot on.. but we try.

For equipment.. Get a battery backup for at least 1 pump (the powerheads).. 2 if you can do that to help prevent the loss of power thing you experienced before.

Decide ahead of time if you want bare bottom or a sand substrate.. Pros and Cons to each.

You have a lot to spend.. I suggest as big of a tank as you want to afford and have room for.. and the subsequent sump.. Do you want off the shelf or custom?

Return pumps... Get DC.. there are 3 MFG's I woud suggest... Reef Octo VarioS, Sicce SDC, EcoTech Vetcra. and for an even better Brand.. Abbyz ... <<< spendy but worth it.

If you know what animals (Fish, Corals, Inverts) you want to keep Plan your equiipment accordingly..

Lights should be tied to tank size and what you want to keep.. The current likes in most reefers is LED with our without T5 supplement or all T5. Halides are kind of phasing out.

Flow pumps should also be tied to the tank size and how many you might need. I am a mid-ranger on equipment with mostly nano tanks.. so far.

All the other stuff you should research some as to fit for the tank.. Filtration is kind of personal in my experience. :)

Edit, Just re-read you post. You already have sump and tank.. My bad..

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back