150 gallon reef upgrade

El_Venegas

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
32
Location
Elk Grove
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i am upgrading from my 75 gallon to a 150 gallon tank, but it’s not a standard 150. I acquired an all glass tank with glass trim and glass bracing making the tank extra heavy. It is 60”x24”x24” which is perfect for what I need.

Reason I am upgrading, my corals were growing too fast to quickly and some were already fighting for space. I was able to used most of my equipment with the exception of the Hydor powerheads with the magnetic grip. The 1/2” glass was too much for the magnet. I hade to use some of my back up marineland MJ1200 pumps.

The tank being 5’ it allowed me to keep my two Kessil 360w. I drilled the tank using a large overflow box elite box from Marine Depot, and it was a 15 min or so task. Plumbing the overflow bean animal style to a 29 gallon sump.

D1DAB6B8-3057-4153-8580-D5989FAFBA51.jpeg 0B89698A-B0FA-45B0-9BF4-DD0F0A181EFC.jpeg 99A9F46F-DB30-47BB-8FC8-633820377D13.jpeg F8FEA42A-6356-4DFF-8167-8591CEDCCD63.jpeg
 
The next few days I’ll be aquascaping. I’ll be introducing fish shortly as well.
 
I’ll be posting pics in how my aquascape is coming along
 
Hello,

i am upgrading from my 75 gallon to a 150 gallon tank, but it’s not a standard 150. I acquired an all glass tank with glass trim and glass bracing making the tank extra heavy. It is 60”x24”x24” which is perfect for what I need.

Reason I am upgrading, my corals were growing too fast to quickly and some were already fighting for space. I was able to used most of my equipment with the exception of the Hydor powerheads with the magnetic grip. The 1/2” glass was too much for the magnet. I hade to use some of my back up marineland MJ1200 pumps.

The tank being 5’ it allowed me to keep my two Kessil 360w. I drilled the tank using a large overflow box elite box from Marine Depot, and it was a 15 min or so task. Plumbing the overflow bean animal style to a 29 gallon sump.

D1DAB6B8-3057-4153-8580-D5989FAFBA51.jpeg 0B89698A-B0FA-45B0-9BF4-DD0F0A181EFC.jpeg 99A9F46F-DB30-47BB-8FC8-633820377D13.jpeg F8FEA42A-6356-4DFF-8167-8591CEDCCD63.jpeg

Nice Looking tank.
I would consider replacing that brass gate valve with a PVC one. The brass could leach copper into the water which could be harmful to your inverts and coral.
 
^what he said. You definitely need to replace that brass ball valve with pvc. I’m getting same size 150 delivered tomorrow myself to upgrade from my 90g!
 
I already placed an order on Amazon for a PVC. Lowe’s or Home Depot didn’t carry any gate valves that are not brass
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new