150 watt heater In 30 Gal

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150vwatt fluval heater which seems to work fine with my apex but after turning on a simple 120mm PC fan over the overflow has caused so much evaporative cooling the heater cant keep up which sounds odd for such a big heater in a such a small tank. On the image bellow I turned the fan on at 730 and the heater was on the whole time.
temp.jpg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You live in Rhode Island and it's winter. Why would you want to cool your system? I'm confused.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to cool the tank I was at work an noticed the tank approaching 8.4 so I turned the skimmer off so it wasn't drawing air through the co2 scrubber (why im trying to set up a solenoid)

The only reason i had the fan on was to evaporate water which would be replaced bt my ato hopefully dropping the ph a little as the ro water is a lower ph. a total long shot yes... just thought it was weird my heater couldnt keep up with a little computer fan.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to cool the tank I was at work an noticed the tank approaching 8.4 so I turned the skimmer off so it wasn't drawing air through the co2 scrubber (why im trying to set up a solenoid)

The only reason i had the fan on was to evaporate water which would be replaced bt my ato hopefully dropping the ph a little as the ro water is a lower ph. a total long shot yes... just thought it was weird my heater couldnt keep up with a little computer fan.
Even a small fan on a small tank like yours has the ability to drop tank temp by 3°F. I use a small fan on my 120's sump in the summer for that reason.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back