Stocking ideas for 150 gal?

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've finally got my tank up and running. 150 gal display/60 gal sump with about 200 lbs of dry rock (Probably overkill, but it doesnt look too bad). Wanted to get some ideas for stocking this tank! I know I want a pair of clowns and a couple of tangs if doable, beyond that I'm unsure. AS well as unsure where to start, beyond the tangs being the last to go into the tank. (Would eventually like a mixed reef, starting with softies until I get a grasp on chemistry and understanding the needs of the coral)

Any ideas/recommendations would be highly appreciated!

P.S. Cycling will start tomorrow as I've ordered ammonium and Dr. Tims. Livestock after Thanksgiving is the ultimate goal right now. Salinity holding at 1.025- temp at 77 currently, another heater and controller for them is on the way as well.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my current stocking in a waterbox 180.5 with attached frag tank (total water volume 240 gallons). I'm maxed out with an undersized skimmer (Bubble Magus Curve 7) and my laziness to not have to replace filter socks every other day.

I have the following fish: Nitrates 20, Phosphates .02 as of last weekend.
7x chromis (peaceful)
7x pajama cardinal (peaceful)
1x huge clarkii clown (old lady, mad)
1x zombie clown (peaceful)
1x ocellaris clown (peaceful)
1x black clown (peaceful; in frag tank)
1x 6" sailfin tang (excitable but peaceful)
1x black speckled molly (belligerent)
1x dwarf pygmy angel (belligerent)
1x starry blenny (belligerent and MIA)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've finally got my tank up and running. 150 gal display/60 gal sump with about 200 lbs of dry rock (Probably overkill, but it doesnt look too bad). Wanted to get some ideas for stocking this tank! I know I want a pair of clowns and a couple of tangs if doable, beyond that I'm unsure. AS well as unsure where to start, beyond the tangs being the last to go into the tank. (Would eventually like a mixed reef, starting with softies until I get a grasp on chemistry and understanding the needs of the coral)

Any ideas/recommendations would be highly appreciated!

P.S. Cycling will start tomorrow as I've ordered ammonium and Dr. Tims. Livestock after Thanksgiving is the ultimate goal right now. Salinity holding at 1.025- temp at 77 currently, another heater and controller for them is on the way as well.
My 125 - if this gives you an idea. Helpful to just start looking at fish on liveaquaria or something and then start putting a list of what you want and post it here! Welcome :)

2 eels
2 lion fish
Regal angelfish
3 tangs
Foxface
Marine betta
butterflyfish
2 clowns
Picasso trigger
Harlequin tusk
Midas blenny

OP
OP
mues

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, now have 2 clowns and a pair of firefish!

Next up probably a yellow watchman and then I am lost once again.....

will have some zoas and other soft corals coming in December to try out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back