How do I run dual 600 watt heaters on an Apex EB832?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get a Ranco temperature controller. It is more reliable than an Apex and will last the whole time that you reef. Apex are toys compared to the industrial grade Ranco.

That I can agree with.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Ranco temperature controller. It is more reliable than an Apex and will last the whole time that you reef. Apex are toys compared to the industrial grade Ranco.
I will look into this. From what I remember the Ranco has always been the gold standard.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also wire a ranco with a large cord, if you need it, so that you can run 1200w off of a different circuit to keep the load down on your main power circuit.

With 1200w in heaters close to the tank, I would have at least 2 circuits so that if one trips, you have flow pumps running in the tank to keep the water oxygenated. I run heaters and my return pump on one, which takes nearly the 20 amps when all heaters are running... and then flow pumps, skimmers and my CaRx on the other circuit. Either way, my tank does not crash. I have a third circuit just for lights, but not everybody needs this.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about Ranco. Also, I invested in an electric panel upgrade with 3 new dedicated 20A GCFI breakers. Might be worth looking into.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same problem with my metal halides.. I’m gonna plug them into a different circuit on a regular timer.. they only draw 5 amps with 575 watts.. I get notifications of low voltage and it trips my gfci every once in awhile… :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also wire a ranco with a large cord, if you need it, so that you can run 1200w off of a different circuit to keep the load down on your main power circuit.

With 1200w in heaters close to the tank, I would have at least 2 circuits so that if one trips, you have flow pumps running in the tank to keep the water oxygenated. I run heaters and my return pump on one, which takes nearly the 20 amps when all heaters are running... and then flow pumps, skimmers and my CaRx on the other circuit. Either way, my tank does not crash. I have a third circuit just for lights, but not everybody needs this.
I currently run the heater controller and a few light duty items (ato, filter roller, ato resevoir) on a separate circuit to spread the loads out a little but I don't have the redundancy of the Apex. Maybe I am over thinking it and should leave it as it is but drop the heaters down to 300s.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back