What heater setup are you running for 2024?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to update my two 100w titanium brs heaters for two 200w.l for my 40g. this winter so far has triggered my continuous running alarm which is annoying to wake up to in order to let me know the heaters have been on too long
The is 682 BTUs per hour of heat. You have a 40 gallon tank. So 30 gallons of water (even less with rock). But let's call it 50 with skimmer and sump and to make math easy.

50 gallons at 8.4 pounds per - is 420 pounds of water.
Your heaters should be able to maintain 1.6 degrees per hour of temperature drop... if we take your real volume into account likely closer to 2.5 - 3 degrees per hour.

Is your tank in an an unheated room?

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter is here so an important piece of equipment, the heater, is needed even more.
What heater or combo of heater and temp controller do you rely on?
Do you use two smaller heaters or one large one to get the job done?

Im currently looking at a 60gal DT and 40gal sump. Thinking either two 100watts or 150watts to an inkbird until i can afford an apex unit or similar.
I keep 2 titanium heaters can’t remember the details but each can suffice if one breaks. I have a Red Sea ATO that has a temp monitor with an alarm just in case.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The is 682 BTUs per hour of heat. You have a 40 gallon tank. So 30 gallons of water (even less with rock). But let's call it 50 with skimmer and sump and to make math easy.

50 gallons at 8.4 pounds per - is 420 pounds of water.
Your heaters should be able to maintain 1.6 degrees per hour of temperature drop... if we take your real volume into account likely closer to 2 degrees per hour.

Is your tank in an an unheated room?
it’s in a heated room. but relatively close to a window that has a slight draft. so it’s probably constantly fighting the temp changes. the heating overall isn’t the greatest but we also don’t always have it on so it’s likely caused by that. i also feel like the heaters are just not working their best anymore.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s in a heated room. but relatively close to a window that has a slight draft. so it’s probably constantly fighting the temp changes. the heating overall isn’t the greatest but we also don’t always have it on so it’s likely caused by that. i also feel like the heaters are just not working their best anymore.
Heaters can't work better or worse, they are just resistance coils. Every single resistance heater made produces exactly the same amount of heat per watt run through its coil.

What are you using for an "alarm"

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Heaters can't work better or worse, they are just resistance coils. Every single resistance heater made produces exactly the same amount of heat per watt run through its coil.

What are you using for an "alarm"
inkbird. perhaps needs recalibration? probes can’t be replaced

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you have the thermostats on the heaters set, they are turning off and the inkbird thinks they are still on.

The inkbird should be the control and the heaters thermostats the fail safe, not the other way around.

turn the heaters all the way up. Set the inkbird. Let tank come to temp. Then turn thermostats down until you can feel them click where they would turn off, then turn them up just a bit so they are set just above then inkbird set point. Ignore the numbers on the dials.

alternate method. Do as above but once inkbird hits set point. Raise it by 2 degrees. Let temp rise 1 more degree then turn dials on heaters until each turns off. Leave them that way. Reset inkbird to target temp. Your heaters are now about 1 degree past the inkbird set point. Again, ignore the numbers on the heater dials.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the probe on my inkbird for a stainless one they use for beer.
I think it's a quick soldering job.
Then I wrapped it on shrink tubing. Where the salt meets the air it always rust in that spot, with the shrink tubing it doesn't. Don't ask me why, it just doesn't with shrink tubing. LOL

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager. Day it craps out I’ll buy another. Old reliable. Best run two where one failing won’t cook the fish. Add an InkBird if feeling ultra safe needed or because it’s really really cheap insurance.

Perhaps one day I go titanium with a controller but Jager has served me well over the years. Have heard others still running 15 plus years and that’s literally unheard of. They are super cheap too. Likely the most important in that failure almost guarantees disaster.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex wirh 2 150watt ehaim heaters ser to 80° just in case the outlets gets stuck on.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Innovative Marine Helio heaters. They keep the temps spot on to within a 1 degree F range.

Dual 100w heaters in the RS170.

The RS525 has a single 350W as Innovative marine apparently has a supply chain issue as the elements are on endless backorder with no estimated delivery. Been waiting for over 3 months now for the 2nd element

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x 650w titanium (primary / backup)
2 x D&D heater controller
Neptune Apex for backup

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently moved my beginning tank to the basement and added a ton of water/tanks
It took the system a bit to level out due to the cold basement and my poor choice to attach pvc to the concrete wall. I hold dead nuts @ 78.5. I run Inkbird on all heaters and each inkbird is plugged into the black apex power box. In the event tmps go nuts apex will shutdown. I had to put a heater in each tank due to the distance everything is from each other and when I leave pumps off for 30mins or so temps would fluctuate.
2 x 750W in sump
1 x 1000w in 210
1 x 800W 125
1 x 500W 150

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter is here so an important piece of equipment, the heater, is needed even more.
What heater or combo of heater and temp controller do you rely on?
Do you use two smaller heaters or one large one to get the job done?

Im currently looking at a 60gal DT and 40gal sump. Thinking either two 100watts or 150watts to an inkbird until i can afford an apex unit or similar.
My 60 breeder I'm running 2 Jager 200w with an inkbird. I keep my house st 65 so needed the juice. 40gal sump is pretty huge but the space would be nice as I'm only running a 20 gal long and pretty tight running a 110int classic and small ice cap algea scrubber (in sump one). I'm going to get 2-200w brs heaters for my next set, the Jagers are pretty long in comparison. But in a 40gal sump probably no problem.
Dual heaters is def the way to go. If one poops the bed, at least you'll have one that can keep the temp somewhat stable until you can get a replacement or grab one off the shelf. I've noticed the brs heaters last longer as they don't have a thermostat built in. That's usually what fails on heaters.
Personally I've had good luck with the inkbird and probably going to stick with them for the rest of my aquarium adventures.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 60 breeder I'm running 2 Jager 200w with an inkbird. I keep my house st 65 so needed the juice. 40gal sump is pretty huge but the space would be nice as I'm only running a 20 gal long and pretty tight running a 110int classic and small ice cap algea scrubber (in sump one). I'm going to get 2-200w brs heaters for my next set, the Jagers are pretty long in comparison. But in a 40gal sump probably no problem.
Dual heaters is def the way to go. If one poops the bed, at least you'll have one that can keep the temp somewhat stable until you can get a replacement or grab one off the shelf. I've noticed the brs heaters last longer as they don't have a thermostat built in. That's usually what fails on heaters.
Personally I've had good luck with the inkbird and probably going to stick with them for the rest of my aquarium adventures.
Did BRS redesign there heaters?

There's a bunch of theads on failed ones before the 1 year mark.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd, all the ones my buddies run have been in use for 2 to 3 years. But if it's a toss up then ill retract my statement. Don't want to send anyone down a bad run especially on heaters.
Just a few examples, I don't think I would buy one unless they address the problem.

Thread 'BRS Titanium Heaters - Are they any good?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brs-titanium-heaters-are-they-any-good.974504/

Post in thread 'BRS 100w Titanium Heaters: As Bad As The Reviews Say?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...s-bad-as-the-reviews-say.899891/post-11206940

Thread 'BRS titanium heater warranty' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brs-titanium-heater-warranty.916952/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back