BRS 100w Titanium Heaters: As Bad As The Reviews Say?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The 200 and 600w versions have issues that BRS is looking into. The 100 and 300w versions have a very, very low failure rate.

I've got 5 BRS heaters running (all 300 or 100w) and not a single failure in over 2 years.

Most recent reviews would indicate the 300W version being problematic while probably most popular at the same time...but thats just speculation.

Would love to hear from @Bulk Reef Supply should they choose to address this.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most recent reviews would indicate the 300W version being problematic while probably most popular at the same time...but thats just speculation.

Would love to hear from @Bulk Reef Supply should they choose to address this.

All of my 300w heaters are still operational. One has got to be 3 years old. Whenever they first came out. The other two are running my 250g tank and will be a year old next month. No issues with any of them. 100w, 200w, and 300w are what I’ve used

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All of my 300w heaters are still operational. One has got to be 3 years old. Whenever they first came out. The other two are running my 250g tank and will be a year old next month. No issues with any of them. 100w, 200w, and 300w are what I’ve used

Thanks much. I have half a dozen on hand but as posted in another thread decided not to throw all my eggs in one basket. I'm going to spread the load (different controllers on different circuits) to 5 heaters from 2 different manufacturers; BRS and Ehaim Jager.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much. I have half a dozen on hand but as posted in another thread decided not to throw all my eggs in one basket. I'm going to spread the load (different controllers on different circuits) to 5 heaters from 2 different manufacturers; BRS and Ehaim Jager.

I think that is a good way to have your heat system set up and is simulat to how mine is set up. I have a primary controller with two heaters and a secondary on a second circuit. My original plan was to replace a heater early so I did not have all the heaters the same age but I didn't.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of the heaters because they don't have temperature control. I do use a controller, but if that fails it'll bake the tank
cooking - kitchen safety 1949 boiling GIF

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a fan of the heaters because they don't have temperature control. I do use a controller, but if that fails it'll bake the tank
cooking - kitchen safety 1949 boiling GIF

The most common thing to fail on heaters is the cheap internal thermostat they use. You should always have two levels of control on a heater. With titanium heaters it’s best to use a controller and have that plugged into something like an Apex for backup.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a handful when they forest came out. All still work fine. The Inkbird controller on the other hand…

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common thing to fail on heaters is the cheap internal thermostat they use. You should always have two levels of control on a heater. With titanium heaters it’s best to use a controller and have that plugged into something like an Apex for backup.
I still like the option to not boil my tank

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think that is a good way to have your heat system set up and is simulat to how mine is set up. I have a primary controller with two heaters and a secondary on a second circuit. My original plan was to replace a heater early so I did not have all the heaters the same age but I didn't.

Yep, I'm spreading it between two apexes.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still like the option to not boil my tank
Every heater on the market can boil your tank if not setup correctly. Just because one has a cheap internal controller doesn’t stop this. The vast majority of heater failures are in the ON position. Not off.

This is why proper sizing and redundancy are so important.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 61 45.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back