Issues with brs titanium heater and finnex hc-820 m controller

Jicklenop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got all my equipment initially, I grabbed a 150W heater from my LFS, but when I got home I noticed in the instructions it needs to be horizontal for it to work properly. So I ordered the brs/finnex combo from their site and the other day set it up in place of the finnex titanium heater I had (I figured I would use it in buckets and other places I need to heat water). Well after work I noticed the temp had drop from 79 to 73, so I called them and they sent me a new one. I initially thought it was the heater as my finnex seemed to work just fine through the controller but when I plug the brs one in, it doesn't heat up at all.

Here's the odd thing though, if I plug the brs straight into an outlet, it heats up. So now I'm not so sure it's the heater but maybe the controller? But then why does my other heater seem to work fine through it? Just looking for any advice as BRS customer service is closed and maybe there is something I'm completely missing.

Tank is 32.5 gallons, the finnex is 150w and the brs is 100w

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got all my equipment initially, I grabbed a 150W heater from my LFS, but when I got home I noticed in the instructions it needs to be horizontal for it to work properly. So I ordered the brs/finnex combo from their site and the other day set it up in place of the finnex titanium heater I had (I figured I would use it in buckets and other places I need to heat water). Well after work I noticed the temp had drop from 79 to 73, so I called them and they sent me a new one. I initially thought it was the heater as my finnex seemed to work just fine through the controller but when I plug the brs one in, it doesn't heat up at all.

Here's the odd thing though, if I plug the brs straight into an outlet, it heats up. So now I'm not so sure it's the heater but maybe the controller? But then why does my other heater seem to work fine through it? Just looking for any advice as BRS customer service is closed and maybe there is something I'm completely missing.

Tank is 32.5 gallons, the finnex is 150w and the brs is 100w
The only review on BRS site about the Finnex had exactly the same problem and he had to send it in for repairs:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hc-820m-digital-heater-controller-finnex.html#reviews

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back