AWC in AIO sump/Heater air exposure

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I recently added the AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo to my IM 20 Nuvo and placed it (sensors and pump) in the middle chamber of the AIO's sump. It needs to be there due to the top off's sensor, which works for both the ACW and the top off. It will drain a gallon and a quart at a time. My plan is to change this amount 2 to 3 times a week to supplement a 2 or 3 gallon manual WC each week (5 total). I've used it twice and it works like a charm!

However, my issue is that I also have my Eheim Jager heater in the middle chamber and when the sump drains, my heater is fully exposed. Then, the fresh saltwater pours back in on top of it. I'm amazed it didn't crack before I realized this was an issue. I'm wondering if anyone else has this set up? And if so, what do you do about the heater?

My questions are, if I replaced the Eheim Jager with a titanium heater and turned it off first, would I be able to expose it to air during water changes? In other words, are they more shatterproof? If so, do I need to let it cool first, although letting it cool would subtract from the AWC's automaticity and I wouldn't be able to do it when on vacation, which I'll be taking in a month.

If that doesn't work, should I put the heater back in the DT? Before I added the heater to the sump, I had the Jager in the DT vertically, but it's blue top was not a great look against my black background. Also, it too was exposed to air during water changes but I never had an issue. Can the Jaeger be fully submerged horizontally on the sand bed behind my live rock? Or, maybe there's a more discreet and reliable heater out that would work better? I've been reading reviews and scanning posts for days now and can't seem to find a solution. The E. Jager seems to be one of the few reliable heaters. Even the reviews BRS's titanium heater and IM new Helio aren't very comforting. I'm also looking into an external regulator like the Inkbird, but that's another story. Thanks everyone. I appreciate any suggestions,

IMG_0829 copy.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your heater in one of the red circled chambers to negate it running dry.

Teal lines being AWC but sounds like you know that.

eheim jager tends to run long for their wattage so a titanium one will be shorter. I like the hygger heaters with inline controller.

hygger 200W Titanium Aquarium Heater for Salt Water and Fresh Water, Digital Submersible Heater with External IC Thermostat Controller and Thermometer, for Fish Tank 20-45 Gallon https://a.co/d/9TznLVc
vgsdgsd.PNG

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your heater in one of the red circled chambers to negate it running dry.

Teal lines being AWC but sounds like you know that.

eheim jager tends to run long for their wattage so a titanium one will be shorter. I like the hygger heaters with inline controller.

hygger 200W Titanium Aquarium Heater for Salt Water and Fresh Water, Digital Submersible Heater with External IC Thermostat Controller and Thermometer, for Fish Tank 20-45 Gallon https://a.co/d/9TznLVc
vgsdgsd.PNG
Wow, thanks for that drawing and reply! I'll check out the hygger. I have their wavemaker and love it. Unfortunately, both the red circled chambers are full and not really away around it. I have my Ice Cap Skimmer in one (works great) and I recently set up the IM Refugium in the other to try to grow some pods for my new pink streaked wrasse. Its the only chamber the refugium fits in. the two And, those chambers also run dry during the water changes (probably not great for the pods/chaeto) either. But, you gave me an idea. I'm wondering if I could put it in one of the smaller chambers at the ends. I don't believe they run dry and it might fit.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vgsdgsd.PNG
I just took a quick look at the hygger. It looks nice, and if need be, I could lay that down on the sandbed behind the rock. Thanks so much!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for that drawing and reply! I'll check out the hygger. I have their wavemaker and love it. Unfortunately, both the red circled chambers are full and not really away around it. I have my Ice Cap Skimmer in one (works great) and I recently set up the IM Refugium in the other to try to grow some pods for my new pink streaked wrasse. Its the only chamber the refugium fits in. the two And, those chambers also run dry during the water changes (probably not great for the pods/chaeto) either. But, you gave me an idea. I'm wondering if I could put it in one of the smaller chambers at the ends. I don't believe they run dry and it might fit.
hmmmm.....sounds like you might be filling the rear too much with water and compensating for that. The only level that should be losing water during AWC or before top off is the middle chamber with the pump.
the water should flow through the weir into the 2 first most outter chambers, then fill up to the same level for the two inner chambers and then cascading down into the center or 3rd return chamber back into the tank.

I would either turn up the pump if adjustable, or remove some water from the rear until you see the water cascading correctly.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm.....sounds like you might be filling the rear too much with water and compensating for that. The only level that should be losing water during AWC or before top off is the middle chamber with the pump.
the water should flow through the weir into the 2 first most outter chambers, then fill up to the same level for the two inner chambers and then cascading down into the center or 3rd return chamber back into the tank.

I would either turn up the pump if adjustable, or remove some water from the rear until you see the water cascading correctly.
I've only run the AWC twice and because I have filter floss over the refugium, it might just be my wrong guess that it drained, since I don't recall the water draining in the skimmer's chamber. But, the water level in the two red circled chambers is as high as the middle chamber and does not flow down. Good call. I purposefully have the water level high because otherwise my skimmer doesn't seem to skim. However, both those chambers still don't work for the heater. Other than fit (I'll try it when I do a water change later today or tomorrow) do you see a reason the heater wouldn't work in one of the outermost chambers? Would I be better off putting it (the Hygger) in the DT laying it on the sand bed? Thanks!

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only run the AWC twice and because I have filter floss over the refugium, it might just be my wrong guess that it drained, since I don't recall the water draining in the skimmer's chamber. But, the water level in the two red circled chambers is as high as the middle chamber and does not flow down. Good call. I purposefully have the water level high because otherwise my skimmer doesn't seem to skim. However, both those chambers still don't work for the heater. Other than fit (I'll try it when I do a water change later today or tomorrow) do you see a reason the heater wouldn't work in one of the outermost chambers? Would I be better off putting it (the Hygger) in the DT laying it on the sand bed? Thanks!
your water level is too high in the 3rd chamber.

your skimmer should work in the water level thats set in the chamber its in, or it needs to be adjusted deeper.

I would use the 1st or 2nd chambers for the heater as it will be a consistant water level so you wont need to worry about it running dry.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't this work for you? Never used it but apparently it can work for overfill or dry. Same company as your awc. So set to cut heaters power when water level drops?

Smart Level Security - AutoAqua​

Max Power: 1100W for 110VAC

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't this work for you? Never used it but apparently it can work for overfill or dry. Same company as your awc. So set to cut heaters power when water level drops?

keeping the heater out of the return section, or reprogramming the AWC and pushing the heater all the way flat to the bottom of the return section so it doesnt run dry would be better options to fix the actual issue.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

your skimmer should work in the water level thats set in the chamber its in, or it needs to be adjusted deeper.

I would use the 1st or 2nd chambers for the heater as it will be a consistant water level so you wont need to worry about it running dry.
Okay, thanks! I'll lower the water and adjust the sensors accordingly. The water does seem a little stagnate in the middle chamber and might be because there's no flow falling down into it. I just hope my skimmer still works. It works great now, but took some time to get it working right and I'm not sure it will sit lower in the chamber. The IM 20 Nuvo is tricky when it comes to skimmers. But, I will definitely try. Already, I can at least move the heater to the first chamber to avoid the class shattering. And look into the Hygger. So far, I'm pretty impressed with Hygger products. I really appreciate your help and suggestions!

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you lay the heater down by the return pump so it stays submerged?
Thanks but I don't think it will fit. The AIO return pump middle chamber isn't long enough to lay the heater down. It's about 8" long and also contains a Sicce .5 pump and an elbow tube (not sure what its called but goes from the pump to the two outflow nozzles). It's pretty cramped in there. But a very good idea. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping the heater out of the return section, or reprogramming the AWC and pushing the heater all the way flat to the bottom of the return section so it doesnt run dry would be better options to fix the actual issue.
Maybe if I could find an 8" heater that would work. But right now it sounds easiest to put it in the first chamber.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting idea! Thanks. Would the heater need to cool first though? Having it so exposed and still hot worries me even if the power is off.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saltyreef, I just checked an my skimmer won't go any lower at all. It's jammed in there tight. And its the only skimmer I've found to fit in this tank that works at all. I'll try to lower the water, but if the skimmer won't work, is there any harm to keeping the water level a little higher? Thanks.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltyreef, I just checked an my skimmer won't go any lower at all. It's jammed in there tight. And its the only skimmer I've found to fit in this tank that works at all. I'll try to lower the water, but if the skimmer won't work, is there any harm to keeping the water level a little higher? Thanks.
This is the skimmer that is designed to work with your tank.

Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer (Desktop) https://a.co/d/bNbElsU

what brand and model did you purchase?

The only harm is built up surface film and the tank not filtering to the best of its capacity with improper chamber flow.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the skimmer that is designed to work with your tank.

Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer (Desktop) https://a.co/d/bNbElsU

what brand and model did you purchase?

The only harm is built up surface film and the tank not filtering to the best of its capacity with improper chamber flow.
Yeah, I used that skimmer for years. It barely skimmed anything and what it did skim was weak. I ended up with hair algae and nine months ago broke down the tank and started over. I didn't have an ATO at the time though. It would probably work better with one, I'm just not sure if it would work well enough?

I found that there are only two or three skimmers that fit this tank. The Desktop made for it, the Ice Cap I have and maybe one other, that didn't have great reviews. The IceCap that I have is the IceCap K-1 Nano.

I noticed the surface skim you're referring to the other day, so I'm going to play with the water level. Maybe the skimmer will surprise me. But if it doesn't skim well, I might have to live with the skim/less flow until someone makes something better for this tank. Although that's not an ideal solution.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I used that skimmer for years. It barely skimmed anything and what it did skim was weak. I ended up with hair algae and nine months ago broke down the tank and started over. I didn't have an ATO at the time though. It would probably work better with one, I'm just not sure if it would work well enough?

I found that there are only two or three skimmers that fit this tank. The Desktop made for it, the Ice Cap I have and maybe one other, that didn't have great reviews. The IceCap that I have is the IceCap K-1 Nano.

I noticed the surface skim you're referring to the other day, so I'm going to play with the water level. Maybe the skimmer will surprise me. But if it doesn't skim well, I might have to live with the skim/less flow until someone makes something better for this tank. Although that's not an ideal solution.
That skimmer has a water level requirement of 6-9".

Keep in mind that skimmers do take some time to build up a biofilm to help the bubbles carry to the collection cup.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer has a water level requirement of 6-9".

Keep in mind that skimmers do take some time to build up a biofilm to help the bubbles carry to the collection cup.
Thanks so much! It did take a good few good weeks to get the IceCap to skim consistently to begin with and now it has a nice biofilm. It's been up and running about five months now. It could be that all it needs is a little time at a lower water level. If it only requires 6-9" of depth, it should work! I also feel like the water level used to be a little lower than it is now, since I just noticed the stagnation. The third chamber was pretty tight for my hands and I might have inadvertently raised the sensor when I added the AWC (I had the ATO up and running first). I'm definitely going to lower the water to see. Thanks again for sharing all this knowledge with me! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back