OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your water level is too high in the 3rd chamber.

your skimmer should work in the water level thats set in the chamber its in, or it needs to be adjusted deeper.

I would use the 1st or 2nd chambers for the heater as it will be a consistant water level so you wont need to worry about it running dry.
I just moved the Jager to the first chamber. It sits a little high so that a little bit of it is out of the water. The suction cups don't work anymore so it's also a little tilted but I don't think that matters.

I measured the stated length of the Hygger 200W against the Jager and at 10.7 inches, the Hygger would come up to the blue dial on the Jager, and therefore also be a little exposed (attached pic of Jager out of water). The Hygger 100W is suggested for tanks 10-25 gallons (mine is 20). At 9.8, it should be fully submerged.

I'm wondering if you think the 100W would be sufficient? I'm not sure if any submersible can be exposed at all but it's a concern. If not, maybe I should just put it in the display tank on the bottom where it will be fully submerged. Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0830 copy.jpg
    IMG_0830 copy.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 22

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 100watt should suffice. Im using only 1 on my 20L but normally i prefer 2 for redundancy.

Fwiw the jager is ok to sit out of the water like that and actually will likely last longer since the achilles heel for those heaters is total submersion of the controller on top.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 100watt should suffice. Im using only 1 on my 20L but normally i prefer 2 for redundancy.

Fwiw the jager is ok to sit out of the water like that and actually will likely last longer since the achilles heel for those heaters is total submersion of the controller on top.
Great news in both instances! Thanks!!! I've used a Jaeger for many years without a problem although I think I did blow one once due to drastic temp changes. I used to keep it in the DT and always exposed them somewhat during water changes without a problem. Also, the top was out a little, just not this much. But exposing it 100% multiple times a week is way too risky for me.

While keeping the Jaeger could work for me, I find it hard to adjust it and like the external probe on the Hygger. I think I'll order one for now, and maybe another for redundancy. That will also save me from getting the inkbird. Or should I get an Inkbird too? Do you find the probe on the Hygger reliable?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news in both instances! Thanks!!! I've used a Jaeger for many years without a problem although I think I did blow one once due to drastic temp changes. I used to keep it in the DT and always exposed them somewhat during water changes without a problem. Also, the top was out a little, just not this much. But exposing it 100% multiple times a week is way too risky for me.

While keeping the Jaeger could work for me, I find it hard to adjust it and like the external probe on the Hygger. I think I'll order one for now, and maybe another for redundancy. That will also save me from getting the inkbird. Or should I get an Inkbird too? Do you find the probe on the Hygger reliable?
The hygger probe is reliable and very accurate when checked against my NIST cal'd device.

But the Jager is a great heater though and can be calibrated to some degree.

The only thing to be aware of with the hygger is there is only one point of failure and no redundancy on the single heater setup since the heater element doesnt have its own controller like you would get with a jager and an external controller.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hygger probe is reliable and very accurate when checked against my NIST cal'd device.

But the Jager is a great heater though and can be calibrated to some degree.

The only thing to be aware of with the hygger is there is only one point of failure and no redundancy on the single heater setup since the heater element doesnt have its own controller like you would get with a jager and an external controller.
I see...so, regarding redundancy, I would actually be a little better off with the Jager and an Inkbird if I only have one heater. Or, I can get two Hyggers, which would give me that needed redundancy, although they would both need to be in that first chamber due to my space limitations. They'd fit, although they'd be so close to each other, I'm not sure how that would effect their operating. Any ideas about that?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see...so, regarding redundancy, I would actually be a little better off with the Jager and an Inkbird if I only have one heater. Or, I can get two Hyggers, which would give me that needed redundancy, although they would both need to be in that first chamber due to my space limitations. They'd fit, although they'd be so close to each other, I'm not sure how that would effect their operating. Any ideas about that?
Redundancy for overtemping only, with a single heater setup and 2 controllers.

Two smaller heaters would be redundancy for under and overtemping.

If 2 hyggers, i would put them on opposite ends in the 1st two chambers or side by side, there shouldnt be much difference.

Just make sure the probes are in an area away from the heater in high flow like another chamber.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundancy for overtemping only, with a single heater setup and 2 controllers.

Two smaller heaters would be redundancy for under and overtemping.

If 2 hyggers, i would put them on opposite ends in the 1st two chambers or side by side, there shouldnt be much difference.

Just make sure the probes are in an area away from the heater in high flow like another chamber.
Thanks. Wow. Sorry if I'm a little slow with comprehending this. Let me see if I understand.

With the Jaeger (Inkbird and controller in heater itself), it would not overheat because the two controllers would turn the heater off. But it could underheat due to a failure in the heater itself. I think.

The 2 100W Hyggers would not underheat because there are two and if one failed, the other would still work, and they wouldn't overheat either due to an external probes for each one (unless of course one of the external probes broke and the heater kept heating...I'm not sure if this is a concern).

Regarding placement, I have a caddy holding carbon in one of my first chambers. I could possibly take the caddy out and place the carbon bags next to the heater in that chamber, although this may limit the water flow around the heater, which probably wouldn't be good.

I also think to place the carbon in the middle chamber might not be great because it would have to sit on or next to my pumps (my sump pump and the smaller pump for the auto water changes) and could impede that flow. The carbon is necessary because I have a softies tank and without it a few of my corals close up due to the chemical warfare. It sounds like I might be better off with the Jager and the Inkbird. Who knew this would be so complicated? But I really appreciate all your help. You have been amazingly helpful and generous with your time and knowledge. Thank you. :)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Wow. Sorry if I'm a little slow with comprehending this. Let me see if I understand.

With the Jaeger (Inkbird and controller in heater itself), it would not overheat because the two controllers would turn the heater off. But it could underheat due to a failure in the heater itself. I think.
Correct. If the inkbird is set to 80 and the jager to 78 for example.

The 2 100W Hyggers would not underheat because there are two and if one failed, the other would still work, and they wouldn't overheat either due to an external probes for each one (unless of course one of the external probes broke and the heater kept heating...I'm not sure if this is a concern).
If you use two smaller heaters, having one fail on would likely not overheat your aquarium and the other would help in that event.

Regarding placement, I have a caddy holding carbon in one of my first chambers. I could possibly take the caddy out and place the carbon bags next to the heater in that chamber, although this may limit the water flow around the heater, which probably wouldn't be good.

I also think to place the carbon in the middle chamber might not be great because it would have to sit on or next to my pumps (my sump pump and the smaller pump for the auto water changes) and could impede that flow. The carbon is necessary because I have a softies tank and without it a few of my corals close up due to the chemical warfare. It sounds like I might be better off with the Jager and the Inkbird. Who knew this would be so complicated? But I really appreciate all your help. You have been amazingly helpful and generous with your time and knowledge. Thank you. :)
You should be able to figure out placement once you recieve everything and if you use amazon to order your products, just return the setup you dont want or cant fit.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. If the inkbird is set to 80 and the jager to 78 for example.

If you use two smaller heaters, having one fail on would likely not overheat your aquarium and the other would help in that event.

You should be able to figure out placement once you recieve everything and if you use amazon to order your products, just return the setup you dont want or cant fit.
Got it! Thanks! And yes, you're absolutely right. Amazon is a breeze to return to so I'll order the Hygger, and an Inkbird and take it from there. Again, thank you! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back