BRS Titanium Heaters - Are they any good?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Bought two sets a while back for my new build but now that I revisited the page to check different wattage specs the reviews are painting a bleak picture.

Below are most recent negative reviews (in no particular order) and I am rethinking my approach. I've been a fan of Eheim/Jager but wanted physically smaller heaters to place vertically in my new sump.

Should I just scrap this idea from the get go or risk using these until they crap out.

What's your long term experience and did you have a catastrophic failure?

1679342442220.png

1679342435491.png

1679342426638.png

1679342415178.png

1679342354259.png

1679342503569.png

1679342511764.png

1679342518042.png

Last edited:

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one of our systems, we use the BRS heater, and on the other tank, we use finnex. What I like, I can switch the heater elements every year.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For one of our systems, we use the BRS heater, and on the other tank, we use finnex. What I like, I can switch the heater elements every year.

Not sure I follow, but one can do that with any other heater.

Are you saying that you replace them every year regardless if they are working or not?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are re-branded Schego units just like the D-D titanium heaters sold in the UK.
Both the original Schego and D-D units are held in high regard so I don't know why the BRS version would fall down.
I have two of the D-D 350 watt heaters on my tank and I've no complaints regarding their quality. Perhaps time will tell.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the heaters and have several 300w a couple 600w heaters and they do work pretty good. I keep expecting one to fail knock on wood. Get them on sale that's the only way I'd purchase them , and have a back up, brs is so good with replacing faulty ones if needed its worth trying them out was my thought.

I hate the sticker on it I remove it and clean the element with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel, it will turn the paper towel black.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a decent heater let me know. Probably been through a trash can full of titanium heaters and controllers and they all suck. My current BRS titanium (well bought 2 600w and one already cooked) might still be good but the BRS controller (think was rebranded Inkbird) almost cooked my tank the other day when apparently the outlet locked on. It was also controlled by Apex but of course the EB832 bit the dust. Actually, just looked it up and go figure BRS discontinued that controller. I had tried those after Finnex, and others, continually failed. The only thing that works is a pair of Eheim Jager glass heaters that I use for water changes etc. Had those for years but think they are only 300w and gigantic glass tubes. Fortunately, I live in Florida and don't need heat all that often. Might try the Helio controller and element next.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you find a decent heater let me know. Probably been through a trash can full of titanium heaters and controllers and they all suck. My current BRS titanium (well bought 2 600w and one already cooked) might still be good but the BRS controller (think was rebranded Inkbird) almost cooked my tank the other day when apparently the outlet locked on. It was also controlled by Apex but of course the EB832 bit the dust. Actually, just looked it up and go figure BRS discontinued that controller. I had tried those after Finnex, and others, continually failed. The only thing that works is a pair of Eheim Jager glass heaters that I use for water changes etc. Had those for years but think they are only 300w and gigantic glass tubes. Fortunately, I live in Florida and don't need heat all that often. Might try the Helio controller and element next.

LOL.

Helio is just way too expensive and not in the budget and I've seen people complain about them too if I recall correctly.

I too am happy with longevity of the Eheim but the 300W appears to be about 3 feet long :)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.

Helio is just way too expensive and not in the budget and I've seen people complain about them too if I recall correctly.

I too am happy with longevity of the Eheim but the 300W appears to be about 3 feet long :)
Yeah now I see why BRS has them on sale. They have a new and improved model Helio PTC Smart Heater I just sprung for. Nice that it includes the magnetic heater holder. Long warranty too so we'll see how these work out.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize you post a snippet of the reviews, but I went in depth about a year ago, and those things are a total game of high stakes Russian Routlette.

I have to over size my heater, as my tank is in my basement which is unheated. I got a used Cobalt here and it's served me wonderfully (on a Ink Bird).

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize you post a snippet of the reviews, but I went in depth about a year ago, and those things are a total game of high stakes Russian Routlette.

I have to over size my heater, as my tank is in my basement which is unheated. I got a used Cobalt here and it's served me wonderfully (on a Ink Bird).
In depth about what?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I bought 3 of them about 5 years ago. 2 of the three had quite a bit of stray voltage (like it would zap you pretty good if you touched the water) straight out of the packaging. I threw them out and went back to Jager heaters. I understand that being glass, the Jagers could break, but I've never had that happen after many years of using them.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few of them had one go bad and they replaced it.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Decided to mix, 2 of each BRS and Eheim.

So the 2 x 150W eheims were just calibrated, they are running at 134Watts & 140Watts respectively as measured by KIll-A-Watt. You'd think by now these companies would have figured out to come closer to stated values.

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 BRS titanium heaters fail on me. They replaced the first one with another failure so just went straight to the old reliable eheims that I've used for years with no issues.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had 2 BRS titanium heaters fail on me. They replaced the first one with another failure so just went straight to the old reliable eheims that I've used for years with no issues.

So re Eheims... and I've always been a fan.

Bought 2 x 150W (size constrains) from Amazon (cheaper than BRS) and they are both are actually ~130 Watts.

I am yet to test BRS to see how close they are to rated power.

One of the 2 brand new eheims is so off that even with calibration all the way to the end it's still way off. I will just have to set it lower for safety cutoff.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back