150 watt MH ballast keeps blowing fuses, please help

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
So I have had a 150 watt MH used fixture for about 9 months without problems. 2 days ago it stopped firing. It has a fuse to screw in, so I pulled that out and it was blown. I bought 2 new fuses, 5 amp 125 volt fuses. They both worked the first time it fired, and lasted 8 hours, but the second time they both blew. I took the ballast apart to see if there was something corroded or something, but it looks perfect. Does anyone know anything about if I needed a bigger voltage fuse or if the ballast is shot? Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Bill

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of fixture is it? Many vendors will provide customer service even if you didn't buy it new from them. You could email the company and see if they will help. I wouldn't put larger voltage fuses in if you're not sure if the fixture is rated for them or not. It's blowing them for safety and if you put in a fuse that won't blow then something worse could happen.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt have a brand anywhere on it. Just a basic ballast. I just wasnt sure if it required a different type of fuse like a low blow fuse. It seems like it takes the large impulses to start up, then a constant stream of electricity, so I didnt know if there was a different fuse for it. Thanks for the response.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd find a new fixture or have an experienced electrician look at it and see what's going on. I'd be scared to run it if your having trouble with it. The expense of having it fixed or replacing a ballast may be more than a new fixture.

I wish you good luck with it and let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the fuse with a slow blow fuse and its working perfectly, better than it did before. It doesnt make the weird start up noise it used to, and does not get hot at all. Glad it working though.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 84 53.8%
  • NO

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 22 14.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back