150g vs. 175 tall

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working my way through all the many tank options available. I am limited to 60 inch length. I could do a standard 150 (60 x 24 x24) another option is a tank I found 175 (60 x 24 x 30). I know the height would present more maintenance issues, but are their animal stocking advantages to going with the 175 tall?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working my way through all the many tank options available. I am limited to 60 inch length. I could do a standard 150 (60 x 24 x24) another option is a tank I found 175 (60 x 24 x 30). I know the height would present more maintenance issues, but are their animal stocking advantages to going with the 175 tall?

I'm not a fan of tall tanks; they're harder to work on like you already mentioned with no other benefit (outside of visual if you prefer the look). They're also more expensive to illuminate. Do you have room for additional width? Something like 60x30x24 (LxWxH) provides extra space for some amazing aquascaping and additional surface area.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon that's 27" tall, and I wouldn't go any taller than that. I am average height, and can just barely touch the bottom of the tank when reaching in. A 30" deep tank I'd be getting my armpits wet and leaning akwardly to work on the bottom. Unless you really want the visual apearance of the taller tank, I'd stick with the 150 personally. You won't get much more in stocking options for the taller tank. Just a bit more stability from some added water volume, and some more viewing height.

I agree that the depth of the tank from front to back is much nicer than extra height. Mine is 18", but I wish I had 24" front to back for more rockscaping options. 30" would be great, but I don't have room anywhere in my house for that without taking up an entire room.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get all sorts of opinions. My last two tanks have been 30" tall and would never go back to anything shorter. Yes, the extra height can be an occasional pain when doing maintenance but, really, how often do you have to get down to the sand anyhow. Use a magnet cleaner and buy a decent pair of stainless forceps/tongs and you're golden. That extra 6" of height is well worth the minimal extra trouble.

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am average height, and can just barely touch the bottom of the tank when reaching
I'm short, and have to use tools anyway to get to the bottom. Although I might have to add a snorkel with a 30". I appreciate the stocking comment. I wasn't sure if I might have more options if I went to the extra height.
That extra 6" of height is well worth the minimal extra trouble.
Do you like the extra 6" for more water stability, visual aesthetics, or something else.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm short, and have to use tools anyway to get to the bottom. Although I might have to add a snorkel with a 30". I appreciate the stocking comment. I wasn't sure if I might have more options if I went to the extra height.

Do you like the extra 6" for more water stability, visual aesthetics, or something else.

Can pretty much guarantee visually, his system is quite large.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm 6' 2", but even then cannot reach directly to the bottom. Plus my tank is 36" front to back, so not even Kareem Abdul Jabbar is reaching the bottom at the back. 18" stainless tongs off amazon do the trick though. For me, it's about getting as much volume as I can possibly squeeze into the space in my family room, thus 96x36x30. Mostly to provide additional swimming and growing room; so, yes, aesthetics. As impressive as a 18" tall SPS colony is, 24" is more impressive. With a 24" tall tank, once you subtract for the reef base and live rock, probably all you have left in terms of growth height is 18"; at the crest of the reef structure, maybe less than 12". Taller is a no-brainer for me.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started with a 110 Tall (30" tall)
currently have a 150 tall. (30" tall)
lighting is a non issue.
cleaning is a non issue.
scape is a non issue, especially if you pre fab it outside of the tank.
depending on your scape, exact coral placement could sometimes be an issue at the lower, even with the above mentioned tools.
bonus: your fish get another 6" of water over the length of the tank to swim around, which I like, with schooling fish, anthias, chromis, bannerfish.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back