1550+ Magnesium Queation

JustinGr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident was testing my Mag at 1420 (ish) for two months. Changed my reagents and calibrated as usual and now my Mag is 1550, and I’ve recalibrated and it’s still reading that high. So tend to believe it’s correct. What risks am I facing if I leave it? It’s a mixed reef, and wondering if it’s harmful at that level to anything, coraline, coral, algae (cheato), etc.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is actually 1550 you’re in for some bleaching. And probably the loss of many snails and clams etc..
now… if there any signs of closed polyps? Any pictures? If so you might be reading it right or you might need a new… mag reader

OP
OP
JustinGr

JustinGr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, several acros are bleaching. But stag and monti are doing great. All LPS are in good shape. I’ll get a mag tester and see.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t get one soon save an amount of water sample and test that. Compared to the water change you should do right now of about 50%

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Trident was testing my Mag at 1420 (ish) for two months. Changed my reagents and calibrated as usual and now my Mag is 1550, and I’ve recalibrated and it’s still reading that high. So tend to believe it’s correct. What risks am I facing if I leave it? It’s a mixed reef, and wondering if it’s harmful at that level to anything, coraline, coral, algae (cheato), etc.
You should document your Mg level with a hand test. Its possible that the trident is not measuring Mg correctly (and seemingly - this Is the most likely)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back