15gal SPS dominated nano

reefologist55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your levels?...i cant believe you are growing sps in only 15gals!!!! Thriving at that! Are your levels consistant? Ive always known corals do better untouched...but...your success is unheard of. Doesnt the pr of clowns keep phosphates high in so little volume? How often do i feed the fish...coral?

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like I always have some bad luck on Christmas eve with this tank. First year I had it I crashed the entire tank on Christmas eve by doing a WC with freshwater unknowingly given to me by the LFS, my fault for not testing it. And from then on it seems like I've lost a coral every Christmas eve since lol. I think it's because the holidays get busy and I don't keep up on my water changes properly. The Crayola Plana above in the last two photos is starting to STN from the base. I'm guessing from an Alk issue having slacked on the WCs for the holiday. So I'll probably frag some tips off and see if I can save them. I just mixed water today so I might do an emergency WC tonight but it might have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. This is the only coral in trouble it seems, sucks though it was a nice one.

Maybe this will prompt me to jump on the Cherry live sale. Or a long awaited Battlecorals order. We'll see. Coral dying sucks but freeing up space is always amazing especially in a small tank.

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive guys! Had to accidentally frag some stuff to move a frag. Got a really nice stick of slimer up on the rack now and a Hawkins frag attached to the glass on the right.
25134450631_d050030c82_b.jpg

24600841083_08e0612c82_b.jpg

25109395712_44ec98989b_b.jpg

24932038380_5fb8b58969_b.jpg

25134449511_cf08c8a169_b.jpg

24596995014_802e65cd25_b.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful job!

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I would like to know the intensity and which color scheme you are using

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Previous lighting post here so you can at least get an idea of the curve though its smoother currently https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/15gal-sps-dominated-nano.161673/page-7#post-2199114 I'm currently up to 85% overall intensity though. I'm not sure the best way to share it without typing it all out.....I never use any of their presets, all custom preset through me tweaking it bit by bit. Works for me, results may vary lol.

Start at 12noon and turns off at 9pm. 85% intensity no clouds, storms, or anything like that. Noon starts at zero across the board and ramps up to the first change at 1pm with 100, 100, 100, 35, 0, 0 reading left to right on the color sliders (UV, Royal Blue, Blue, White, Green, Red). Next is at 2pm 100, 100, 100, 60, 0, 0. At 3:30pm I hit my peak for the day with 100, 100, 100, 60, 100, 100 and this lasts until 5:30 where it starts fading down for the day. At around 6:45pm it goes back to what 2pm was with a bit less white, then at 8pm goes to Actinic look with 100, 100, 100, 5, 0, 0. Then fades out completely at 9pm. The times work best for my schedule when I'm home and can enjoy the tank some. My computer desk is next to the tank and lower so fading out by 9 is perfect to stop me from getting blinded by the lights directly in my eyes.

I've found that my corals really were not happy with whites cranked much above where I am at my peak, 50-60%. The whites on the radions are incredibly good at penetrating the water IMO and can easily burn stuff. Had much better success turning them down.
25192010851_ca5907551c_b.jpg

24658357003_befb7c1572_b.jpg

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an Eshopps PSK-75H HOB, cheap and easy but it's constantly pulling stuff out. As far as dosing, let me get back to you. I'm currently dialing it back in, growing corals increase the intake especially in a small tank so I have to get my numbers right again.

As far as tips for tanks this small, slow and steady wins the race. Really haven't found it overly difficult myself, just everything consistent and steady. Keep your hands out of the tank as much as you can and just let it grow wild. Oh and back the Radion white channels off some, those things are BRIGHT!

jaydogg76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an Eshopps PSK-75H HOB, cheap and easy but it's constantly pulling stuff out. As far as dosing, let me get back to you. I'm currently dialing it back in, growing corals increase the intake especially in a small tank so I have to get my numbers right again.

As far as tips for tanks this small, slow and steady wins the race. Really haven't found it overly difficult myself, just everything consistent and steady. Keep your hands out of the tank as much as you can and just let it grow wild. Oh and back the Radion white channels off some, those things are BRIGHT!
been testing everyday since i have been stocking my tank with sps. I have noticed that 1ml a day is not enough....i dosed 3ml today...im going to see if that changes anything...if not I'm going to have to go more...i just don't know yet.....and yes i do keep my hands out of the tank...

jaydogg76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been testing everyday since i have been stocking my tank with sps. I have noticed that 1ml a day is not enough....i dosed 3ml today...im going to see if that changes anything...if not I'm going to have to go more...i just don't know yet.....and yes i do keep my hands out of the tank...
my tank is 2 years old...but new to the sps for about a year...yes please get back to me on your dosing....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back