32 Biocube and 62 Tideline

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting this thread after the fact to document my little 16 gallon nano LPS/docile fish setup. We are doing his and her biocubes, with mine being the 16 focused on LPS and docile fish. My wife's is a 32 that will focus on a few fish and clove polyps (for some reason she just loves them.) We had a 20 gallon eclipse saltwater many years ago and I am now seriously amazed we were able to keep anything alive in it. The available resources now are just amazing for helping out starting a tank. I will add pictures as I can but here's a quick rundown so far.

We got the tanks in December and cycled using dry rock and live sand. Fiji pink for me and Bahamas Oolite for her. (She loves the beach)
We are both running stock lights and returns. We cycled for a month using Dr Tims until our readings all looked stable and good. Using Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

In my tank, which I will focus on, I have added a Aqamai KPS powerhead, which I find to be just fine. The initial setup was a little painful, but now it is on the network and running fine. The 32 has a hygger mini that also is fine for what it is. We also swapped out the crappy stock baskets for the intank versions. They are considerably better. We are both using inkbird controllers for temp control and they work nicely.

Current livestock in my tank is as follows:
Fish: Tailspot Blenny, Orange Spotted goby, and a tiny (seriously tiny) Panda Goby. I may eventually add a mid-water fish but I kind of like the aesthetic of fish poking their heads out and not constantly swimming in circles just because they can. I am contemplating a possum wrasse as a final addition once the tank is more established.
Inverts: Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, couple of Nassarius and trochus snails, 2 small blue legged hermits
Corals: Aussie Lord, 2 Blasto (Merletti frag and Wellsi), Neon Candy Cane, Acan, Duncan, a little chip frag of Raja Rampage Chalice, Pocillopora that I got specifically for the panda goby (which he doesn't even notice), One cyphastrea from the 5$ frag bin that is allergic to any lights so browns up every time the lights come on even though he's under a ledge. From the same 5$ frag bin, I grabbed a stick of unknown coral, could be a stylophora. He doesn't love the tank so far but is not dying, just not growing very well. All of the corals seem to be doing fine under the stock LED's and single powerhead/return configuration.

Feeding and dosing: I feed a mix of LRS nano and formula 2 frozen daily. I feed coral frenzy and reef roids once a week, and spot feed twice weekly mysis to the blastos, duncans and Aussie. They all seem to love it. I dose Red Sea A/B weekly but that's about it. I test every other day for Alk, PH, Nitrates and salinity. Weekly for Phos, Calc, Mag, Ammonia and Nitrites. Ammonia and Nitrites are generally undetectable and Nitrates are generally around 15. Phos runs around .03.

A couple of early learning lessons we have had so far: We are very fortunate to live in the Orlando area, so we have access to several really great LFS, World Wide, Top Shelf and others. It is mind boggling to walk into those shops. It is also easy to assume everyone in a LFS knows everything and can tell you the best advice. However, a couple of times we have been led to get fish that just aren't the right fish for our setups. My wife wanted something to help clean her sand, so the lfs suggested a diamond Goby. In a 32 gallon, with oolite sand... Hello bacterial bloom and constant clouds. I had a substantial pod outbreak and another lfs told be to get a scooter blenny, in a 2 month old tank... Needless to say he cleaned out the pods in about 2 days and then wouldn't eat frozen. Both fish were returned to the stores and replaced with more appropriate fish. Now we know to do our research and not buy on emotion or on the beauty of a fish or coral.

Also, aquascaping wet rock sucks. We both thought to cycle and then scape, but that is much harder than youtube would lead you to believe. Next tank we will take our time and figure out rockscape prior to cycling.

Thanks for all your insight and sharing your stories. It is both an inspiration and a huge help to those of us just getting started.

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures. I’m dealing with an algae outbreak that the trochus aren’t really helping. I’ve just started dr Tim’s refresh and lowered the lights.
D8987DF7-99CC-43A4-8136-065873B0A157.jpeg
C5181CDA-694D-4A4D-8BF8-8EA169AE4602.jpeg
E03666C3-DEA2-4F9A-A365-454353803196.jpeg
B7AFBB32-B2BF-499B-8BBA-4946A83D44D7.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals really don’t show out under white lights but the acan is a beautiful blue/purple with green highlights. The blasto is a nice red. I also have a green candy cane with is doing great.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of that light green algae all over the rocks in my 13.5 evo. Looks similar to yours. My tank is about 2 months old. I think it’s just part of a new tank. I could be wrong though. Unless you are seeing hair algae. That stuff is relentless and need to get under control before establishes itself in the tank.

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on the tank. It has been a while. After a fish die off, I went fishless for 80 days. I added 2 clowns that are doing great. I also have been dealing with a little hair algae through manual removal and water changes. I got a hammer and frogspawn from reefapalooza that both eventually got brown jelly and died. My blastos, acan, duncan, plate, zoas and a cyphastrea are all going really well. I got sick of the lid and crappy lights, so I pulled the lid and added a Prime 16HD. It is just so much better now. I recently picked up a Tideline 60 for my wife and we will be moving her biocube 32 to that. I will swap my 16 into her 32 and use the 16 as a quarantine tank. She has been dealing with constant bacterial blooms due to using the Bahamas oolite. Every time the sand bed is even a little disturbed, she ends up with a massive cloudy tank. In the tideline, she is going with special grade. I will be getting rid of the fiji pink, which I think has worked really well and replacing it with either Bimini Pink or go back with new Fiji pink. All in all, upgrading both tanks makes a lot of sense for us and this also gives us a quarantine/treatment tank in reserve, so it's a win all around. Going forward, I would not buy a curved acrylic tank again. The corners suck to clean and the distortion of the view is also very annoying. The biocubes are fine for what they are, but we have upgraded the return pumps, added the innovative marine baskets, changed the lights and added wavemakers, so it would have been cheaper just to go with an innovative marine AIO to start and added the light. We would have ended up with much nicer tanks.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your BioCube, which I see you have already started to trick-out! Those tiny Aqamai powerheads are great— ONCE you can figure them out, as you noticed. Also, a big Shout-Out to WWC and Top Shelf. They are definitely Candyland for Orlando-area guys like you and me. :)

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your BioCube, which I see you have already started to trick-out! Those tiny Aqamai powerheads are great— ONCE you can figure them out, as you noticed. Also, a big Shout-Out to WWC and Top Shelf. They are definitely Candyland for Orlando-area guys like you and me. :)
Thanks. I agree on being very fortunate with the shops here. I am also a fan of Living Reef. I feel very fortunate to have 3 great shops within a half hour of my house.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Living Reef is always clean as a pin, as well. Some of these ‘best in the country’ places are like high-class doctors offices!

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it was a busy weekend. We transferred my wife's tank from the biocube 32 in to the new Tideline 62 gallon. My 16 moved into the 32. I also dumped the sand in mine and added the new Aquaforest Bio Sand. The sand is beautiful, stays in place. Same size as fiji pink but much whiter looking. More to come with pictures but I am not sure whether I should start a new thread or just continue this one.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it was a busy weekend. We transferred my wife's tank from the biocube 32 in to the new Tideline 62 gallon. My 16 moved into the 32. I also dumped the sand in mine and added the new Aquaforest Bio Sand. The sand is beautiful, stays in place. Same size as fiji pink but much whiter looking. More to come with pictures but I am not sure whether I should start a new thread or just continue this one.
I talk about both my tanks in My Evo thread but its up to you. If you are no longer going to run the 16, you can start a new thread or ask ADMIN to change the title of this one, so everything is still all in the same place :)

Excited to see the progress :)

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the current state of the tanks with stocking and hardware.
Biocube 32:
Intank media baskets with floss on top, chemipure elite in middle and bio gems in bottom. Intank Fuge basket with Chaeto. Intank sump cover.
Innovative marine grow light velcroed to the back over the fuge basket.
Eheim 150W on an inkbird.
Mighty Jet return pump, which was supposed to fit but doesn't exactly.
KPS wavemaker.
1 Ai Prime 16HD. Not crazy about the shading, but it does the job.
The sand is the Aquaforest Bio Sand, which I really like. I had fiji Pink in the 16 and this is much whiter. I rinsed it and used the enclosed bacteria starter and it cleared up in just a couple of hours after it was in the tank. It really stays down well. Granted, this is not a super high flow tank, but I have a good amount of flow for LPS.
Stocking list fish: Pair of clowns, Lubbock's fairy wrasse, Chalk Bass, sharknose goby, Wheeler's shrimp Goby (which I haven't seen in 2 days)
Corals: 2 blastos, 1 duncan, 1 acan, 1 cyphastrea, little zoa garden, 1 photosynthetic gorgonian and one long polyp toadstool.
Inverts: bunch of snails, 1 hermit, 1 emerald crab female (tiny) 1 tuxedo urchin (keeping the hair algae at bay), 1 cleaner shrimp.
Future stock list: no more fish but fill out the top two levels with corals. Either Euphyllia or easy sps like birdsnest, monti caps, etc.
Next steps: take the rim off the tank, replace the white putty with red (cosmetic but it annoys me), set up duetto ATO.

Biocube 32.jpg

Tideline 62: I need to finish the doors for the stand. Initial observations are that the tank is really nice for the money. For a 60 gallon all glass with 2 pumps, it was a steal. I made the lid from a Home Depot frame and mesh I got on Amazon. I added marine rubber gasket to keep it from sliding around so much.
Current equipment: 2 AI Prime 16 lights. Had 3 but one of them came out of the box with the colors messed up so am waiting for a replacement.
Jebao OW-40 wavemaker. Also adding in a KPS on the opposite side.
Factory return pumps, not nearly as nice as the DC mighty jet pump in the 32. No adjustment or feed mode.
Innovative marine chaeto grow light hanging above left section with some pompom algae.
Filtration is the socks that came with it and a bag of chemipure blue with some bio gems.
Tunze ATO
The missus really wanted the aragamax select grade, but apparently, it is discontinued, so "we" are deciding what sand she wants. She is not crazy about how big the special grade is and didn't like the coloration of my fiji pink. We needed a little for the rock flower and her goby, so there's 10 lbs of special grade now. She has a metric ton of marco rock and is working on her final aquascape.
Stock:
Fish: Bangaii cardinal, yellow watchman goby, 2 firefish, green clown goby
Corals: 1 birdsnest, 3 kinds of clove polyp on an island (she loves them) 4 zoas which will become a garden, 2 rock flower anenomes
Inverts: cleaner shrimp, snails, emerald crab, couple of hermits.
Future stock: Midas Blenny, school of Chromis, who knows what else...
Future corals: she's going to focus on easy sps, monti caps, digis, birdsnest, etc.
Future plans: get the doors made and on, cable management, replace the 3rd light, add 1" substrate, finish scape and install. Let stuff grow.
Tideline 62.jpg

OP
OP
N

nitereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of some of the inhabitants in my 32. Shooting through the curved glass front sucks. Definitely wish I had a flat glass tank, but I will live with this for now. I am not sure it makes sense to swap tanks just for the box, I have already upgraded the lights, return pump, lid, etc. Everyone is getting along very well.
Inhabitants-1.jpg

Lubbock's fairy wrasse. He is very active and swims around the tank all day.
Inhabitants-2.jpg

Got this little guy directly from ORA at Reefapalooza this year.
Inhabitants-3.jpg

The newest inhabitant. I love his grumpy little face. He swims out when food is present and likes to hang under an overhang the rest of the time. In the back is the acan that is doing well.
Inhabitants-4.jpg

I love this little toadstool. Behind it is a plate coral I am trying to revive. It has lost almost all of its tissue but has been this way for 6 weeks and hasn't lost any more. I hate giving up on coral if there is any life left. I am swapping the 1 ai 16HD for a hydra 32 for spread mainly. The 16 will go on the 62 gallon for a third light.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back