16G nuvo Ghost Skimmer question

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I just got mine in yesterday, but I think something is wrong with mine. That, or I am just impatient...

The skimmer does not seem to be able to build enough skim to bubble over... In fact it barely makes it to the bottom of the tube. I adjusted the red ring to go the lowest it could go for a wet skim. The next morning there was some yellowish liquid in the cup but it was not caused by bubbling over, instead I think it was just evap / condensation.

Does anyone here have this exact skimmer and care to comment on their experiences with it when they were "breaking it in" ? I hope that it is true what they say and this skimmer needs a week to break.

hobbzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that skimmer, but all skimmers are the same in that brand new ones need a break in period. When shipped form the factory they are covered in minute layers of dust, oils etc. It takes a while for all that to get cleared, enabling the bubbles to properly form. It's not specific to your skimmer. Break in periods are usually 1-3 weeks. Run it very wet. If you can take off the lid, and run it so wet that it overflows back into the water without making a mess, then do that. It will lessen the amount of time it takes to get rid of all that residue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back