175G Reef Stocking List

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 175 gallon 48L x 30W x 30H reef tank, and I've got somewhat of a list of what I'm planning on keeping. The goal is to keep it relatively lightly stocked, as the tank itself isn't actually very long compared to its total volume. I also think a lightly stocked tank just seems more natural, which I prefer. With that being said here's the list.

1. Ocellaris Clownfish Pair
2. Neon Blue Goby
3. Convict Tang
4. Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
5. Adorned Wrasse
6. Red-Lined Wrasse
7. Vrolik's Wrasse
8. Yellow Wrasse
9. Tiger Watchman Goby Pair
10. Green Mandarin Goby

As far as stock that I'd prefer over others goes, numbers one and two I already have in a smaller tank, so they are a must, and number three I am essentially dead set on. Five through eight, the wrasses, I'm unsure on compatibility seeing as they're all from the same genus and relatively the same size. I was hoping the difference in colors and the tank's volume would be enough to deter most of the aggression. Of course they would be added at the same time. Number nine doesn't necessarily need to be a pair although it would be prefered if possible. I have also considered attempting to pair them both with pistol shrimp, but a very small amount of research has been done on my part. As for number ten, I am completely unsure of whether or not I'll have it. I only included it on the list simply because of its aesthetic appeal and that fact that I wouldn't be adding it to the tank until it's well established anyway. Of course I'm very open to additions, subtractions, or replacements for any of the list with the exception of one through three.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, that should be fine. The wrasses should be along fine but there are always exceptions to the rule (I have 7 all peacefully coexisting in my 160-gallon). In terms of overall fish, you're running about a quarter of what I do in my tank so you'll have lots of room to add more fish down the road.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, that should be fine. The wrasses should be along fine but there are always exceptions to the rule (I have 7 all peacefully coexisting in my 160-gallon). In terms of overall fish, you're running about a quarter of what I do in my tank so you'll have lots of room to add more fish down the road.
Alright, thanks for the input!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back