1760G Tank, what Skimmer?

8ne4t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, the biggest and also reputable skimmer brands I've come across online are recommended for up to 260 gallon tanks, i'm new to this and i don't have my tank setup until I have all the right hardware sourced, do I just go with a small skimmer or do I put several skimmers into my sump haha? Cheers

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody in town had a similar sized tank, he ended up going with a MRC IS-2492-W.

It would be interesting to run multiple 500-600 gallon rated skimmers if you could get the water height correct.

OP
OP

8ne4t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the references, I've decided to go without the use of a skimmer but will of course buy one and have it ready for use if circumstances warrant the need for one, the goal is a self contained tank with the use of a 1000 gallon sump as the first 400-500 gallons will be a cryptic zone with 500 pounds of LR inside of homemade baskets using pvc piping and egg crates, seeded with cryptic sponges, sea squirts, NPS corals, fan worms on a 4" substrate consisting of live Aragonite Oolite (very fine stuff) sand and mud at a 75:25 ratio, the substrate will be packed with bristle worms and mini-brittle stars with an army of pods.

The cryptic section connects up to the next biome which will have the exact same substrate and full of red mangroves that will be deliberately aerial propagated to achieve that lovely complex root system, estimating 15 to 20 mangroves i'm not sure, i'll get as much as i can in there without it being overstocked, i'm also planting "star grass - halophila engelmannii" in between the mangroves, i'll allocate 200 or 300 gallons to this biome

The next biome outside of the mangroves will be packed with a plethora of green macroalgae and a select few red algae, peppermint shrimps, emeralds, nassarius and cerith snails

the inverts will have free roam of the entire 1,000 gallon sump (except where the pumps and reactors are) so they will figure out their favourite biome to hang out in, gives them options, this will make up the next 300 gallons or so, i will be picking plants that my fish would love as i plan to recycle the nutrients inside of my tank by simply refeeding the nutrients to my fish from my plants, i've shortlisted 10-20 plants to choose from, the aim is as much diversity as possible and of course with the use of external food, pellets, frozen foods, bananas, flakes and all the other stuff.

Because i'll be introducing external nutrients i might even need to use an algae scrubber/reactor or multiple combinations of them if needed and use that as part of my nutrient export if needed, i'm sure it will be, i don't plan on using any mechanical filtration at all.

this so far, all of it is only on paper at the moment though until november, i was excited about it all but as i get closer to start date it's bringing on more anxiety than excitement, i've never seen this much water inside of a house in person before, i've never had a reef tank or any experience reefing either i'll put that out there for the crucifiers haha.
the only experience i have is with a 40 gallon freshwater tank which i use for aquascaping with dozens of Tetras Shrimp and Snails, what could go wrong?

hardware bores the crap out of me but if you have questions on what i'm using in regards to lights etc, equipment, automation and stuff i'll reply but my interests lay in the biological aspects

I didn't even make any mention of the DT haha, it'll be a mixed reef community, but I'm still not sure, it might be SPS dominated it might not, I haven't decided on the DT stuff yet, but I do have a list of all the fish and inverts I want to stock, all species individually researched for compatability, I swear to God never in my life did I think I'd be able to name more than two fish just by looking at them, now I can name at least 30 of them, at the pet store I name the fishes to my girlfriend she just looks at me like 'you ****ign nerd'

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first post says im new to this. Your second post sounds like you have an understanding of reef tanks. But your first tank is gonna be 1K+ gallons. Im so confused. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

You will need a custom built skimmer or run two skimmers.

OP
OP

8ne4t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading for a couple years, I would say I have a somewhat understanding to a small extent regarding what I've found relevant to have an understanding in within relevance to what I wish to build and maintain, too many people think they have an understanding with reefing but they've barely dabbled with the tip of the iceberg.

To quickly correct that, it's a 2,000 gallon DT with a 1,000 gallon sump plumbed into the fish room behind the DT
the tank was initially 1760g in mind but I've adjusted the dimensions since

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back