18 weeks in with wet gulf rock - Reefer 250

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am 18 weeks with this tank. I used 70 pounds of wet gulf rock from Phillip over at KP Aquatics. I just ran NO3 and PO4 on both my tanks, my established display was 5.6 for NO and .05 for PO, I think that's close to balance perhaps. But, the new tank is wildly out there in left field. NO is 22.5 and PO is .02. I am not doing anything to lower the PO, or the NO for that matter. I started carbon dosing today, but was kind of surprised by those numbers. I haven't checked in a couple weeks. The rest of parameters are:

DKH - 8.6
CA - 479
MAG - 1458
PH flows between 8.15 and 8.35.
78 degrees
AB+ with no whites XR30 Blue G5

I am using kalk when lights out and 2 part the remainder.

The only thing I have encountered so far is 2 rounds of very mild diatoms.

I dosed the hell out of this tank with pods, I mean UBER excessive.

Not great at scaping, but there are tons of caves for the fish to retreat and rest and hide from the flow. I do regret putting the sand in the tank. I was originally going to go bare bottom, but had a crazy ammonia spike on day 1 that left my house smelling like death for a week. I wound up taking advice from Phillip and dark curing for 30 days. I should have left the sand out.

I am trying to balance and stabilize using kalk and 2 part. I am not using kalk in my other tank, and I can see why people use this method.

Fingers crossed this holds together and pulls through well. It's still a work in progress, I haven't set probes and dosing lines permanently. I am also still trying to figure the flow out. There aren't any deadspots, including in the caves, but I just don't know if I have it correctly as it flows over the acros.

IMG_1940.JPG

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looking good!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back