Gulf Live Rock Shipping

Osprey223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and order a shipment of live frock from Gulf Live Rock. I live in Indiana and according to their site it would take around three days for a shipment to reach me with their standard shipping option. I am hoping I'll be okay to just do that shipping rather than having to pay an extra $75 for overnight. I know that overnight or air freight are certainly the better options, just wanting to save a bit of money if I can.

Anyone had any experiences ordering from them with the 2-3 day shipping option and live in the green area? (See screenshot below of their shipping map)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Screenshot 2024-01-21 140305.png

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock did you order? Coralline base is one thing, if you paid Xtra for the "premo", do the overnight.
I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and order a shipment of live frock from Gulf Live Rock. I live in Indiana and according to their site it would take around three days for a shipment to reach me with their standard shipping option. I am hoping I'll be okay to just do that shipping rather than having to pay an extra $75 for overnight. I know that overnight or air freight are certainly the better options, just wanting to save a bit of money if I can.

Anyone had any experiences ordering from them with the 2-3 day shipping option and live in the green area? (See screenshot below of their shipping map)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the green zone but I can suggest looking into Tampa Bay Saltwater @liverock. They are going to send you two shipments, the first is base and sand (if you are going for the package). The next is the premium rock and inverts.
They are highly professional and truly even the base rock is loaded with cool stuff. It comes packed very carefully. Trust... They know what they are doing.
It is very cold and stormy in the Gulf right now, so you should factor that I to your timing. If you can give it some time to warm up, you'll get more diversity on your rock.
Best of luck with the new set up.

OP
OP
O

Osprey223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock did you order? Coralline base is one thing, if you paid Xtra for the "premo", do the overnight.
Thanks for the input! Haven't ordered yet, but it will be the premium stuff so I will likely do the overnight in that case.

OP
OP
O

Osprey223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the green zone but I can suggest looking into Tampa Bay Saltwater @liverock. They are going to send you two shipments, the first is base and sand (if you are going for the package). The next is the premium rock and inverts.
They are highly professional and truly even the base rock is loaded with cool stuff. It comes packed very carefully. Trust... They know what they are doing.
It is very cold and stormy in the Gulf right now, so you should factor that I to your timing. If you can give it some time to warm up, you'll get more diversity on your rock.
Best of luck with the new set up.
I've heard such great things about them as well! I certainly like that they ship in water so quickly, but with 20 pounds of rock from TBS being $61 more than Gulf Live Rock before shipping and then having to arrange air cargo with TBS I have been leaning more towards GLR.

I have read every post I could find about GLR and it seems there is a fair amount of survivability, though certainly less than TBS because sponges on TBS orders aren't exposed to air as long. I think I will order one of the treasure chests from TBS to get the extra life that would be lost in a GLR order.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good morning, I am also in Indiana and about to order from them. How did it work out for you? I have a 170 gallon tank to fill so my order is rather large. I plan to have it air dropped with airport pickup, I am a tiny bit worried that there won't be as much life because it's winter.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks also into KP Aquatics. I was debating between them and TBS. Can't go wrong with either. I will be buying live sand soon---will be going with TBS for that. The only problem with TBS is they are not processing any new orders until April.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks also into KP Aquatics. I was debating between them and TBS. Can't go wrong with either. I will be buying live sand soon---will be going with TBS for that. The only problem with TBS is they are not processing any new orders until April.
As of this morning kp aquatics has stock again but it is so much more expensive than gulf.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 10lbs from Gulf Live Rock in January or course I’m still in the green zone but I paid for the overnight shipping. It arrived was still wet with paper towels. I didn’t smell any death/rotting smell. Some sponges died but the macro algae and tunicates are still alive. Lots of bristle worms and feather dusters. Going to order another 10lbs early spring so I can build up toward the light so I can place some SPS up high

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 10lbs from Gulf Live Rock in January or course I’m still in the green zone but I paid for the overnight shipping. It arrived was still wet with paper towels. I didn’t smell any death/rotting smell. Some sponges died but the macro algae and tunicates are still alive. Lots of bristle worms and feather dusters. Going to order another 10lbs early spring so I can build up toward the light so I can place some SPS up high
that’s great. You wouldn’t happen to have pictures?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful. Did you end up having to hunt down hitchhikers?
I didn't mind the hitchhikers. There is a whelk in the tank that I am trying to catch but other then that I was fine. There is a Red Mathrix Crab that is about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin that munches on algea all night long. I see the bristle worms at night every once in a while as well.
IMG_7507.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back