180 Aqua Japan Build List - Feedback?

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I am going to be setting up a 180g Aqua Japan Mixed Reef. I have a list here of desired items but wanted to gather feedback before I pull the trigger. Any personal experience or feedback is greatly appreciated! I have the ATO , water exchange, and water station set and planned, but have put off my tank equipment list. I am unsure if i am missing anything but please let me know if so! When I start to get equipment, I will be posting build logs :) Thank you for your help!

Skimmer - Reef Octopus Regal DC Skimmer 200 INT 400 Gallon

Return Pump - Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 Controllable DC Pump 1000-2500gph
Alternative - Octopus Varios 6 DC Water Pump

Lights - AI Hydra 32HD x3 + AI Single Arm Kit for Hydra 26/32HD Racks

Media Reactor - SpectraPure MR-DUAL

Powerheads - AI Nero 5 Pump x2 or MP40 x2

Heater - Eheim ThermoControl Heater e300 Watt

BioFilter Media - MarinePure Blocks 8x8x4 Block x2
- Filter Socks + Filter Sock Holder

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would get 2 smaller heaters and a backup inkbird controller or aquarium controler (apex, hydros, ghl)

2. what do you plan to run in the media reactor?

3. What coral do you want to grow?

4. I would personally skip the filter socks and run a roller mat and buy a smaller skimmer OR skip the filter socks and oversize the skimmer like you are. Either way I hate filter socks

OP
OP
PHXHobbies

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would get 2 smaller heaters and a backup inkbird controller or aquarium controler (apex, hydros, ghl)

2. what do you plan to run in the media reactor?

3. What coral do you want to grow?

4. I would personally skip the filter socks and run a roller mat and buy a smaller skimmer OR skip the filter socks and oversize the skimmer like you are. Either way I hate filter socks
So glad you mentioned this!

My buddy has an unused Apex, so I may use that. itll likely need all new probes ill look into this more.

Reactor would be GFO + HFO - we run it in our display at work and it seems to work well

roller mat! I forgot about this and was planning on a Carisea just wasnt sure which version. SK-5000 seems to be the choice

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have 3 heaters. 2 for the tank (both hooked up to an inkbird) the last I use for water changes and as a back up.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad you mentioned this!

My buddy has an unused Apex, so I may use that. itll likely need all new probes ill look into this more.

Reactor would be GFO + HFO - we run it in our display at work and it seems to work well

roller mat! I forgot about this and was planning on a Carisea just wasnt sure which version. SK-5000 seems to be the choice
The clarisea is seemingly a great product but I don't see a reason to get it over the redsea reefmat, it seems like a better product for less money. I don't personally own either.

OP
OP
PHXHobbies

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have 3 heaters. 2 for the tank (both hooked up to an inkbird) the last I use for water changes and as a back up.
Good advice, Im planning on doing some more in-depth on my water station but it will be a full station of (2) 100g reservoirs with a custom RODI system and blue line pump with plumbing. Going to figure out the heater and circulation pump after more research
The clarisea is seemingly a great product but I don't see a reason to get it over the redsea reefmat, it seems like a better product for less money. I don't personally own either.
I did see that as thhe other option, my LFS had some used Clarisea so that steered me that way (along with good experiences from locals) but Iwill surely look at pros/cons of both. thank you!

OP
OP
PHXHobbies

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking with a friend today, he recommended that i go with

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 202-S protein Skimmer vs. the Regal 200 INT. My price from either vendor is only a $28 difference. I have personal experience with the Regal.

Return Pump - Syncra HF 12 vs. Syncra SDC 9.0. Mainly due to the return head height and GPH rating. I plan on having (2) MP-40s so I was not sure if this would create too much flow with an oversized return pump. Other option was a Jebao DCP-18000

Im really not sure on what lights I am going with yet, but wanting a slim look so preferably Kessils

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • NO

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back