180 Build Thread

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of plans do you have for the aquascape? Islands? Its gonna look killer!

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. I wanted to do two islands with my rock but it just didn't turn out that way ...

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good

Last edited:
OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have intentions of doing islands. We'll see how it goes as I add my mature live rock to it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank God for buddies who can plumb! I have one too! LOL!

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped in on my dad today and bought a bunch of stuff at Home Depot. He built a custom cabinet for the skimmer. Now my wife is going to paint it.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! Got the cabinet situation figured out! Gotta keep the misses happy! Its gonna be a real nice set up Derek, sure you're getting excited!

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the external skimmer does need a feed pump. Their description online is confusing. Contacted the vendor about what kind of flow it needs. Hoping around 500 gph. If so, I am going to run my UV filter and skimmer in-line.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the external skimmer does need a feed pump. Their description online is confusing. Contacted the vendor about what kind of flow it needs. Hoping around 500 gph. If so, I am going to run my UV filter and skimmer in-line.
Most external skimmers only need around 300 gph fed from the feed pump, The slower flow allows for more contact time in the skimmer thus more effeciant. Open the wedge pipe all the way open and get the feed going then adjust the bubble height to your needs and you should be set. Hope this helps...
Bill

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called the manufacturer in Canada and they recommended 500 gph while maintaining and 750 gph while cycling the tank. So I just ordered a 750 gph pump and the aqua UV 57-watt sterilizer. Going to plumb then in line with a ball valve so I can adjust flow.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called the manufacturer in Canada and they recommended 500 gph while maintaining and 750 gph while cycling the tank. So I just ordered a 750 gph pump and the aqua UV 57-watt sterilizer. Going to plumb then in line with a ball valve so I can adjust flow.
Contact time is what makes skimmers work, Having never heard of that brand nor knowing nothing about them i would be suprised if running water that fast will get good results. And different flow rates while cycling, Never heard of such a thing or why you would want to! Did they give you any facts as to why to do this and for what reasons?
Running a skimmer and UV together will gurantee nothing leaves alive, Good or bad! This may be better as a if needed running the UV only if there is reason to do so. JMHO
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bill :eek: it would be better if you could run the UV seperate from the Skimmer. Run one without the other. Flow rates are different and if u move water too fast thru UV its basically just another light as far as effectiveness.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturer of the skimmer claimed 500 gph was the ideal rate for their skimmer. It also happens to be the rate I wanted to run for my UV, so running in line will be perfect. I have a refuge in my sump a chamber past the UV and skimmer, so critters will continuously get pushed to the display without being nuked by the UV.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to deal with my returns today, they weren't sealing properly due to being pushed on by the way I did the plumbing. I ended up ripping out the return plumbing and redoing some of it so that it wouldn't leak. Still need a buddy of mine to come over and push the vinyl hose onto the barbed bulkheads, I can't get enough leverage in there to do it.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't get these bulkheads to seal right for the returns. I guess I will put them in with some aquarium safe silicone to help provide a good seal.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt use silicone. I tried that and it still leaked. You need a bulkhead wrench to tighten them just a little more than hand tight. Kevan(Toxic) has one. i'm sure he would let you borrow it.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrench to tighten. The problem is the hole is the same size as the hole for the drain and the tolerance of how it is placed is so small that it keeps leaking.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those tools and still can't get it. Don't suppose anyone who has a bunch of experience getting these things in properly would be willing to come over and help out this evening.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back