OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turned off the return to make sure water level doesnt go too high. Raises about an inch over baffles but still have 2 or 3 in till top of sump. So I'd say that works for now! Curious if that'll cause issues with skimmer later down the road cause they need a consistent water level right?

20200423_131255.jpg

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my salt in yesterday! Will start aquascaping tomorrow or Thurs depending on work. Any examples of 5 ft aquascapes? I am thinking like 3 islands or something. Don't want a rock wall or excessive height. just a very open space for fish to swim and coral growth.

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my scape and my sand in. I was worried eith only 80lbs of sand I'd be with a very thin sand bed but I've got a 1.5ish" sand bed and that's about what I wanted so that's great!

Threw in a full bottle of mb7 xtm bacteria for the cycle as it was cheapest option and seemed to have really good reviews. Also a single shrimp for ammonia.

Most my leftover rock I threw in my sump for some extra filtering as well as a xport bioplate. With this I should have ample filtration.
The substrate is araganite special grade that was dry.

Tried making many areas where fish could hide but still be seen. A mistake I made with my 28g was having a pile of rocks with empty areas unseen and when I put my blenny in, it was a week before I saw it again, and only ever saw it during feeding after that.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turned off the return to make sure water level doesnt go too high. Raises about an inch over baffles but still have 2 or 3 in till top of sump. So I'd say that works for now! Curious if that'll cause issues with skimmer later down the road cause they need a consistent water level right?

20200423_131255.jpg
it should be fine, once in a while higher water level during power outage wont affect performance

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockscape looks good, just want to ensure there are plenty of water flow through rocks with no dead zones.

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockscape looks good, just want to ensure there are plenty of water flow through rocks with no dead zones.
I've ordered a scp150, a 6000gph gyre style pump, and think I'm going to add a couple directional pumps on the back wall to help, if that still is inadequate I'll add a second scp. It's supposed to have a strong undertow

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an scp 150 on random mode @ full speed to the tank as it cycles. Until I get corals in or someway to visualize the flow not sure what else to put for flow

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About time to start thinking of what fish to add into this tank, any suggestions?
Scopas tang and Sailfin tang are both one I drool over.

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the flow with the 150
Yeahvi like the scp 150. It moves an insane amount of water. But it is a sheet of water. I think 2 of em at different heights in the water column facing each other at like 60% would do better random flow. But using pellet food you can see it do a full circle around the tank in about 45sec with just the one. Def recommend for cheap water movement but does leave controlablity to be desired compared to the name brand pumps.

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeahvi like the scp 150. It moves an insane amount of water. But it is a sheet of water. I think 2 of em at different heights in the water column facing each other at like 60% would do better random flow. But using pellet food you can see it do a full circle around the tank in about 45sec with just the one. Def recommend for cheap water movement but does leave controlablity to be desired compared to the name brand pumps.
Nice appreciate the update

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back