180 Gallon Plywood Frag Tank

Pete Horwath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, my apologies for not posting this build from the start. I'm doing an identical Frag Tank on the right side next month so will post step by step on that one. Here's the background. My reefandfins coral & Fish business was running out of space and I didn't like the cluttered look of just adding more 45g tanks so I decided to build my own tanks. I have limited space and wanted form, function and aesthetics as well. This is what I came up with: two plywood 8' x 3' frag tanks framing in a mangrove display refugium with a touch tank for grandkids which could hold my starfish, hermits etc. The top tier on both sides over the Frag racks will hold acrylic partition tanks for my breeding pairs of fish. Which tanks are connected to what, has not yet been decided as I need to figure out best nutrient levels and quarantine concerns. It's a work in progress with I'm sure quite a few more roadblocks to encounter but pretty happy with the progress so far.

Capture.JPG IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2711.jpg IMG_2713.jpg fr1.JPG Fr2.jpg

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice, love a built in/ custom set up. Are those glass or acrylic fronts on the frag tanks? Where do you get your information on how to build them?

OP
OP
Pete Horwath

Pete Horwath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice, love a built in/ custom set up. Are those glass or acrylic fronts on the frag tanks? Where do you get your information on how to build them?
Glass 3/8” this is the first one i tried. I watched a bunch of DYI videos on plywood tanks and took what made sense from each. Think i’m Going to do a video series on the next one. Water goes in tomorrow. Will let you know how it worked out. This is basically a framed plywood box reinforced with fiberglass and pond seal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back