180 Gallon Stocking list [Updated]

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering upgrading my current 75g fowlr system to a 180 fowlr for a while now. If written down and rewritten my stocking list and I think this may be what I want. Just curious to know other peoples' experiences or if I should add, remove, or change anything .

So currently, I have..
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Purple Firefish
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Lyretail Anthias
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Flame Angel

And with the upgrade coming up, I'd like to add..
1 Solar Fairy Wrasse
1 Blue Jaw Trigger
1 Tomini Tang
1 Royal Gramma
1 Majestic Angel

Would there be any potential compatibility issues or would everyone get along?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger will be a risk to the smaller (2” elongated bodied) fish. So I personally wouldn’t risk it.
m you also have a few fish that hate being around aggression. They may not enjoy more aggressive/boisterous tank mates either.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a similar list in a 180 gallon before. Those fish should all do pretty well together. Acclimation box for the new tang, feed the tank well. I'd also get another 4-5 anthias, sticking with the smallest females you can find.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B5C5149C-8F16-4919-A843-4BA56AA8F2E5.jpeg

I like the OctoAquatic boxes. Might as well get the large one, as there is a removable divider.)

OP
OP
Juan4265

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger will be a risk to the smaller (2” elongated bodied) fish. So I personally wouldn’t risk it.
m you also have a few fish that hate being around aggression. They may not enjoy more aggressive/boisterous tank mates either.
I've been told by my lfs and other online sources that i may have a better chance of success by getting the trigger as small as i can. But if i can't then i'll just move some things around. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
Juan4265

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a similar list in a 180 gallon before. Those fish should all do pretty well together. Acclimation box for the new tang, feed the tank well. I'd also get another 4-5 anthias, sticking with the smallest females you can find.
I've considered adding more anthias to the list. My anthias has done well by herself for the year that i've had her though. But it would be cool to see more movement and to see one potentially transition to male. Thanks for the feedback!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told by my lfs and other online sources that i may have a better chance of success by getting the trigger as small as i can. But if i can't then i'll just move some things around. Thanks for the feedback!
FWIW, I had a 10" niger, a 6" bluethroat, and a 5" pinktail in my 380 gallon with a variety of tangs, angels, butterflies, a moorish idol, multiple species of chromis, firefish, multiple species of damsels, multiple anthias species, multiple dottyback species, a black cap basslet pair, multiple fairy wrasse species, 2 types of flasher wrasses, lots of gobies, and 3 different blennies. Even had cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp and the triggers behaved just fine. Just try them with cheaper fish first (sorry damsels) and keep them well fed and the triggers with upturned mouths generally behave just fine. Out of the three I had, the niger is definitely the most risky and the largest, but is also the prettiest, especially with the red teeth, gorgeous blue/green/purple color, and 2-3" streamers on the tail

OP
OP
Juan4265

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had a 10" niger, a 6" bluethroat, and a 5" pinktail in my 380 gallon with a variety of tangs, angels, butterflies, a moorish idol, multiple species of chromis, firefish, multiple species of damsels, multiple anthias species, multiple dottyback species, a black cap basslet pair, multiple fairy wrasse species, 2 types of flasher wrasses, lots of gobies, and 3 different blennies. Even had cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp and the triggers behaved just fine. Just try them with cheaper fish first (sorry damsels) and keep them well fed and the triggers with upturned mouths generally behave just fine. Out of the three I had, the niger is definitely the most risky and the largest, but is also the prettiest, especially with the red teeth, gorgeous blue/green/purple color, and 2-3" streamers on the tail
That sounds awesome. Like how you said, I too have also read that triggers with the more upturned mouths, like the blue throat, tend to be less risky with smaller fish, corals and inverts. All i can hope is to get lucky and not get one who finds smaller fish appetising.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds awesome. Like how you said, I too have also read that triggers with the more upturned mouths, like the blue throat, tend to be less risky with smaller fish, corals and inverts. All i can hope is to get lucky and not get one who finds smaller fish appetising.
I tried mine all in a 75 gallon quarantine with some yellow tailed damsels as guinea pigs while they went through quarantine before going in the display

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back