180 gallon stocking

Dmudd782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting my current 180 gallon stock list and would like to hear recommendations from others. Would you consider my tank lightly, medium, or heavily stocked? Any certain fish you would recommend to add to my current stock?

1. tail spot blenny 2”
2. Midas Blenny 4”
3. Royal Gramma 3”
4. Pink spot watchmen 4”
5. Yellow corris wrasse 4”
6. Leopard Wrasse 3”
7. Blue hippo tang 4”
8. Sail-fin tang 6”
9. Gold rim tang 3.5”
10. Blue eye kole tang 4”
11. X2 Ocelaris clownfish 2”

ideally I’d like to add either a fox face rabbitfish or some sort of “reef safer” trigger “blue throat” but currently just taking my time and doing everything slowly. Is there anything else you would add to this list that you think would really add more character/beauty?

a little more about the tank, it is a 180gal dual overflow into a 40 breeder sump with a aqua max Cones Q3 skimmer and 1200GPH return. roughly 200lbs of live rock with live sand. Running two AI hydra 32HDs with plans to add at least one or two more in the near future. End goal is a mixed reef with soft/LPS/possibly some SPS corals. With a good mix of fish. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a good blend... how does it feel?

My experience with Blue throat types are great socially - do not interfere with the tank dynamics..

Have enjoyed my lantern basslet, which would not mess with this tank vibe, and add another personality

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest to drop the sailfin as it grows fast and large, and could be an issue with three other tangs in just an 180g.

OP
OP
Dmudd782

Dmudd782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My experience with Blue throat types are great socially - do not interfere with the tank dynamics..

Have enjoyed my lantern basslet, which would not mess with this tank vibe, and add another personalityf

Have enjoyed my lantern basslet, which would not mess with this tank vibe, and add another personality
I will have to check the lantern basslet out! So far I’m thrilled with my tank and can’t wait for it to fully mature.

OP
OP
Dmudd782

Dmudd782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest to drop the sailfin as it grows fast and large, and could be an issue with three other tangs in just an 180g.
Bummer, I’m really enjoying the sailfin and so far has been a model citizen, guess I’ll let him stay for now and if he ever gets to giving me trouble I’ll rehome him and make room for something different.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back