OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back and found that my clowns have started beating up the poor duncan :(

Not sure what I can do beside remove one or the other.

The clowns have always tried to host in the duncan as if it were an anemone, and the duncan never seemed to mind before. The clowns have started growing quickly and I think their size/strength has finally reach the tipping point. The heads where the clowns push on it the most are shrinking up and I have lost 2 while I was gone. The heads that arent shrinking, the fingers at the edges have started to get realy thick and tubular instead of pointed like usual.

Ill get some pics tonight when the whites come on, breaks my heart.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210827_010631648.jpg

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update.

Added a rock with lots of zoas and also a purple dottyback that has so far been MIA since adding. The zoas seem to be wasting away. Day 1 there were 30 or so polyps, 4 days later and now there are maybe 12. My other zoas all seem fine, I moved them from low to mid in the tank at day 3 thinking maybe too little light. Will see how many are left today.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to the tank making some noise last night at about 2am.

The level in the display was rising and then "flushing" down as the secondary drain achieved full siphon and drained the high level, and then repeated about every minute or two.

The main drain was clogged at the gate valve, and so no water was making it through that pipe.

I opened the gate valve and not even a full turn and it starts flowing well again, to my surprise a fish pops out of the pipe.

Turns out my diamond goby had jumped into the overflow and managed to get himself sucked down the main drain and stuck in the gate valve. I don't know how long it was stuck in there but he seemed a little shocked in the sump. I fished him out with the net and dropped him back in the display.

He was still ok this morning when I left for work, fingers crossed he makes it through the day.

They are known jumpers, and I hear this one splash around from time to time. I haven't pursued a lid though because the canopy I use on the top would prevent it from actually getting out onto the floor.

Looking into screen tops now, but fitting something to the shape of this tank is going to be tricky.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby is doing well still.

The cooling fan on one of my lights started making noise so I took it apart and cleaned some dust from inside, need to do the other 2 this weekend, lots of dust bunnies on the heat sink fins.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina stars are getting out of control, aiptasia is becoming a chore to keep control with kalk paste alone. Lots of aips I can't get to under shelves and deep in crevices between rocks.

I think it's time for some predators.

Going to order a single harlequin and a single peppermint shrimp. Hoping the harlequin can keep the asterina down and not exhaust his food supply too quickly. Also hoping the peppermint doesn't decide he likes lps more than aips but that's a gamble I am willing to make at this point.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin is in and doing well. Munching away on the asterinas every time I see it.

Naso tang is in and doing well as well.

I dont think I will be adding any more livestock to this tank that would require quarantine, so getting the itch to change my quarantine (40 breeder) into frag/growout tank.

I never really followed strict quarantine anyways ;)

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tank still up and running? I would love your thoughts on the 'distortion' of the rounded glass and if it bothers you or not? I'm considering a cylinder tank and looking for actual experiences, which are rare. Thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back