180 half cylinder

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acid dip is probably the better way to go. I had forgotten that people acid treat their rocks.

Too bad you couldn't find a sufficient amount of hydrogen peroxide. I'd bet that would work very well and would be pretty safe since it just decomposes into water and elemental oxygen.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acid dip is probably the better way to go. I had forgotten that people acid treat their rocks.

Too bad you couldn't find a sufficient amount of hydrogen peroxide. I'd bet that would work very well and would be pretty safe since it just decomposes into water and elemental oxygen.

They did a video on BRS with I believe muriatic acid in a brute trash can. It's pretty cheap. Lowes even has it. Not bad for $10

Can't say I remember the ratio though.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the funny part is that the muriatic acid has all kinds of stuff in it like unreacted chlorine and chlorinated byproducts because it is produced from byproduct hydrogen chloride (I used to work for a major manufacturer of aqueous and anhydrous hydrogen chloride).

The peroxide, on the other hand, should be pretty pure if it's medicinal or electronics grade.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the funny part is that the muriatic acid has all kinds of stuff in it like unreacted chlorine and chlorinated byproducts because it is produced from byproduct hydrogen chloride (I used to work for a major manufacturer of aqueous and anhydrous hydrogen chloride).

The peroxide, on the other hand, should be pretty pure if it's medicinal or electronics grade.

While I am sure you know what you are talking about, it's pretty tired and true to use the acid. Where as the amount of peroxide may work, and even if it did probably wouldn't be cheap in the amount you would need. And peroxide is one of those items right now where you may or may not find it on the shelves.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bachelors in Chemical Engineering, so I am a bit embarrased pool shock didnt come to mind. It is literally just strong bleach (unless you get the shocks made to treat and condition the water in other ways too, those are usually powder/tablets).

I looked at the acid rinsing and 100% against it. Good to throw the idea out there though. I dont like the idea of losing any % of the rock, and it seems too strong for what is on the rocks (if they were covered in dead ocean growth maybe).

Peroxide would take a LOT to do all the rocks I have.

Definitely going with teh pool shock (already have 4 gallons of it in my truck lol, I work across the street from a HD). Not single bottle of bleach in the place, scented or otherwise, but they have 4 pallets of 10% sodium hypochlorite liquid pool shock. No other water treatment additives described on the label like the blue powders have, so I am not worried at all.

Going to bleach these rocks TONIGHT!!!!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bachelors in Chemical Engineering, so I am a bit embarrased pool shock didnt come to mind. It is literally just strong bleach (unless you get the shocks made to treat and condition the water in other ways too, those are usually powder/tablets).

I looked at the acid rinsing and 100% against it. Good to throw the idea out there though. I dont like the idea of losing any % of the rock, and it seems too strong for what is on the rocks (if they were covered in dead ocean growth maybe).

Peroxide would take a LOT to do all the rocks I have.

Definitely going with teh pool shock (already have 4 gallons of it in my truck lol, I work across the street from a HD). Not single bottle of bleach in the place, scented or otherwise, but they have 4 pallets of 10% sodium hypochlorite liquid pool shock. No other water treatment additives described on the label like the blue powders have, so I am not worried at all.

Going to bleach these rocks TONIGHT!!!!
I'm a ChemE as well :)

Before you go all-in on the pool shock, maybe check the SDS to see if they list any other "ingredients". :)

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half rounds are my favorite! The amount of room you have in them in incredible! It's like looking into the ocean.
70 gal Half Round Full Tank.jpg

Ours is Oceanic's 76 gal. Seems more like 90 or so with what I can put in there versus my 70 gal Oceanic Tech Tank. This is an older pic of it. . This would be the last tank out of our (3) I would get rid of!
bsa

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half rounds are my favorite! The amount of room you have in them in incredible! It's like looking into the ocean.

Ours is Oceanic's 76 gal. Seems more like 90 or so with what I can put in there versus my 70 gal Oceanic Tech Tank. This is an older pic of it. . This would be the last tank out of our (3) I would get rid of!
bsa
That is absolutely gorgeous!!!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bsa

Awesome!

Mine looks 10x better in person so I imagine yours looks 100x better with so much going on! Its my experience already that it is really hard to capture the true gravity of the appearance of these shape tanks in photographs.

Before we moved the tank, I was trying to explain to SWMBO about viewing angles and how amazing a half round is going to be. Even went to the fish store and showed her the bowed tanks with little reaction. Then on moving day she saw it for the first time and her jaw hit the floor! She still walks past me working on it and comments about how much she loves it vs. the "little tank we were going to put up" referencing that 120 I mentioned.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

Mine looks 10x better in person so I imagine yours looks 100x better with so much going on! Its my experience already that it is really hard to capture the true gravity of the appearance of these shape tanks in photographs.

Before we moved the tank, I was trying to explain to SWMBO about viewing angles and how amazing a half round is going to be. Even went to the fish store and showed her the bowed tanks with little reaction. Then on moving day she saw it for the first time and her jaw hit the floor! She still walks past me working on it and comments about how much she loves it vs. the "little tank we were going to put up" referencing that 120 I mentioned.
I have to admit...I'm SOOOOOO jealous of you right now! :)

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

Viewing in a half round is so much better than a bow front or corner. Not to say that there's anything wrong with those tanks ! Unless you have one or have seen one set up in person, it's very difficult to describe. You will love it! Cleaning the bottom corners is a challenge though!
bsa

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit...I'm SOOOOOO jealous of you right now! :)

Thank you, I got SUPER lucky on finding this tank and having someone so supportive to help me with it. Looking at prices for these type of tanks new, I could never build this new, never.

dvp95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what looks to be this exact tank with the exact dimensions. Looks beautiful. Lots of height for things to grow.

Measure your acrylic. Are the sides 0.75" and back 1"?

Problems:

Flow: have tunze powerheads that do not work with 3/4" acrylic. Some people have upgraded to rare earth magnets. I currently have my powerheads on the overflows because that are is only 1/4". Make sure your powerheads will work. Not sure if you can just upgrade magnets on the MP40 like you can tunze to put them on the sides/back. Overflow should be ok.

Lighting: Challenging due to depth but not terrible. I had (4) Kessil 360x lights with goosenecks. Lighting was ok but not good enough for SPS. I added T5s but hybrid fixtures do not fit the top. I had to buy a BRS 48" and 36" retrofit kits and put the Kessils between. I just need to build a canopy but it works well. I get great PAR now.

Cleaning: depth is a pain. Lots of wet armpits. Cant reach the bottom. I use magic erasers to prevent scratches. I recently purchased this cleaner from BRS. Expensive but does not scratch the tank. Highly recommended

Good luck. Fun tank.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what looks to be this exact tank with the exact dimensions. Looks beautiful. Lots of height for things to grow.

Measure your acrylic. Are the sides 0.75" and back 1"?

Problems:

Flow: have tunze powerheads that do not work with 3/4" acrylic. Some people have upgraded to rare earth magnets. I currently have my powerheads on the overflows because that are is only 1/4". Make sure your powerheads will work. Not sure if you can just upgrade magnets on the MP40 like you can tunze to put them on the sides/back. Overflow should be ok.

Lighting: Challenging due to depth but not terrible. I had (4) Kessil 360x lights with goosenecks. Lighting was ok but not good enough for SPS. I added T5s but hybrid fixtures do not fit the top. I had to buy a BRS 48" and 36" retrofit kits and put the Kessils between. I just need to build a canopy but it works well. I get great PAR now.

Cleaning: depth is a pain. Lots of wet armpits. Cant reach the bottom. I use magic erasers to prevent scratches. I recently purchased this cleaner from BRS. Expensive but does not scratch the tank. Highly recommended

Good luck. Fun tank.

Mine is actually glass, and fairly thin (1/2" all around I think? definitely not 3/4" but maybe 5/8's, going from memory and i haven't measured).

Flow is one of the next major hurdles. I am reading really great things about gyres lately and even though MP40's seem to be a staple in the hobby I may go with gyres instead. Was thinking if I placed one at the top of back wall on either side of the overflow they could take advantage of the shape of the tank well.

If I use MP40's I would put them lower and outside towards the bottom corners (possible dead spot), or perhaps both on the same side pointing forward to push the water along the front glass to the other side.

It would be nice if those aquatic life t5 led hybrid fixtures could be bought in pieces. I would want to build exactly what setup from those really slick frames. I was also kicking around getting a couple 2' long fixtures and putting them in a V shape.

I have a canopy that is ok. I don't like how tall it is though because the lid hits the ceiling if I am putting my arm in trying to reach for something. I am thinking of reworking it so I can access from the front, but with the curved shape this is not an easy carpentry project. May go without and leave it open top too, not sure.

The total height at the top rim of my tank on the stand is about 6' without the canopy. I already feel the pain and with the canopy on, downright impossible to do anything but feed I think. Its easy to lift off for now, but once lights etc. are in, not so easy.

I have always liked the algae free scrubbers. They just look nice compared to most others looking aquarium gadgety.

OP
OP
mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is going along well I think.

last night was 24 hours into the soak so added another 1.5gallon of pool shock straight to the barrel, sloshed it around to try and mix it up. Here it is filled up to the very tippy top, and bubbling away again after the new shock was added.

IMG_20200325_190831.jpg

There was a little coraline on the rocks I will be sad to see gone, but the rest were green under all the detritus/sand and silt that had dried on. Initially I was hopeful thinking that I would not need to bleach all of them, but as I rinsed/scrubbed the loose stuff off, I quickly discovered most were totally green underneath the dried on dust.

Tonight I get to start pulling them all out and rinse well before getting loaded back in for a soak in prime over the weekend, and then next week pull them all out to dry for several days.

worked on the filter sock holder last night as well. My first acrylic project in a long while. Wishing for a laser cutter the whole time, but got it done with hole saws and a table saw. If it doesn't hold up I wont be upset, was a few scraps I had laying around and didn't take much work.

IMG_20200325_190818.jpg

Finishing up the plumbing and preparing for a water test very soon.

Still need to rinse my sand out too. Going for that snowglobe effect, so I gotta rinse the dust storms out of it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back