180G but it’s a bowfront

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone here is my plans for my 180G bowfront LPS and Zoa tank!

* = Question about it below

So I guess I will start off with filtration.
I have a DIY 55g sump that I am going to put two filter socks on for the two overflows. Next chamber will be a refugium of course and after that an eshopps S-300 protein skimmer. Than it goes back to the return pump and some of that water goes through the 75W UV sterilizer*.
ACAF38C5-8696-4C4A-814D-FCB665B1B77A.jpeg

Here are some pictures of my tank. It’s a work in progress but is going to look so nice when painted and has had it’s final cleaning!
0F6430F2-83AA-4989-B3F6-63C936E7BFFF.jpeg

1746E2FB-4309-4652-B03D-DA7402D49543.jpeg

Next is the stand. For what I was charged I should have done it myself but it was well built and looks pretty nice! Had it made 3’ tall so it’s more eye level than the original stand. (Ignore the paint while the tank is moved off the wall we repainted it.)
BEA0F1C0-901D-43EB-A759-68CCE7EBE791.jpeg

I currently have about 100lb of really nice dry rock. Probably will need more but I am going to scape it with what I have and c how it looks before I fill the tank.
B531A015-B16D-4350-807C-9A61D4C962F7.jpeg

I am definitely going with about 2-3” of live sand. Either Fiji pink or special grade. If there r cheaper options let me know though!

Lighting is T5/LED. Will do a par test to make sure it is going to work because it’s a little DIY.

I have an apec classic I am going to hook up I will talk more about it later.

I am going to use Red Sea salt (Blue bucket).

Not 100% sure on stocking yet but I have a good idea. I am going to post the link to that forum when I post it because I want to make it separate.

I am planning on lots of LPS, a nice zoa garden and a RBTA*. Particularly love hammers and torches!
I am sure the list will grow but here is a list I made a while ago:
LPS:
Various Hammers
Various Blastos
Maybe GSP
Various Alveapora
Dunkans
Possibly a chalice if my water is good enough in the future
Hopefully some torches if I can get a good deal on one or 4 :p
Maybe a scolly if I can find a good deal as well

Zoas:
Fruit loops
Rasta
Utter chaos
Blueberry pie
Darts maul
Purple hornet
Twizzlers
Scrambled egg
Armageddon
Blue hornet
CB Bowser

These list are just rough and will depend on pricing and availability in my area.

Not sure what else I am leaving out but here are a few questions from the asterisks.

Sterilizer: What would be the best way to plumb this? Through a manifold off of the return pump is what I have planned.
RBTA: Thoughts? Not sure if I want to add him to the 180 or put him in the 34G anemone only tank with some other rainbow BTAs and flower anemones.
Live Sand: Are there cheaper options to the ones I posted above that do the same thing? Live sand is expensive lol
Live rock: Need more right? I do want several Tangs so don’t want to fill it with live rock though.

Any other suggestions, comments and your 180g

OP
OP
R

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BA0B7721-0ADF-4DBA-A9E0-E8267798994D.jpeg

Rock scape. Really like it but will be fun to transfer it to the tank! Will post a video

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back