180G install

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a CL deal on a 180 now just working out the details to install. here are the main componets
180G dual overflow 72x24x24
Cherry wood stand
coralife 220 skimmer
Pro Clear aquatics 200 wet dry
Current lighting 3x250MH 8x39wT5 12 blu and 12 wht LED
1/3 HP Drop-in chiller
6x power heads

Current tank is a 50G with 20G sump. Making the move I have lots of questions / ideas.
If you would give me you input from your experiences I would appreciate it. So here goes..

Thoughts...
Build cabinet outside of house on tank wall for some equipment like:

Compressor/condenser for drop in chiller
Ballasts for MH
Add drain to outside (not sure why a drain???)

Questions???
Can you buy 150 gallons of saltwater from one of the stores?
Would the cost be outrageous for this water?
Should I move my 75 gallons of water from my old tank to the new one?
Looking at 3 new 20A circuits 1-chiller 1-for (3) MH 1-for pumps/heater T5s?
Should I use my current sand or all new?
If I use new sand and all my rock/corals do i have to cycle the tank again?
If I blend my sand into new sand do I have to cycle tank?
New sump is wet/dry with bio balls? Good or bad?
With 180G DT I'm thinking 20G long for Phosban/ Carbon / protein skimmer/ chiller/ heaters.
Maybe elevate wet-dry and let it overflow into 20G long?
Should I line the inside of the stand with something to contain any leaks?
Have a sea cucumber in the sand bed can it live in new sand?
Fish (4) will be in quartine for a week around the move to treat for ich.
If I know there is ich in the sand would I be better off to leave the tank fishless for 6 weeks to kill any ich?
If I add new fish to the crew, all at the same time in a new tank, would that be bad?
I'm thinking clean-up crew can go right in snails and crabs?

Now my head hurts again....:sad:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good deal there...I did the same exact thing a year ago. here are my suggestions.

1. Buy a 5 gallon bucket of salt mix and make your own water. most buckets are about $50 for 150-200 gallons. use RO/DI water for it. If you dont have RO/DI, you can buy from the fish store. they may also have salted. I know our store here does. YES it will be more expensive than making it yourself.
2. you can move some of the water if you want, but why?
3. My 3x250 wt Halides, 4x36wt T-5's, Two Koralias, two custom rat trap cooling fans and a dart pump use 8.4 amps when all running.
4. use new sand unless yours is less than a year old. BUT take some of your old and put it with new to keep the bacteria. this will lessen the cycle. using your old rock will also help. you may still have a small cycle.
5. Lose the bioballs. they are detritus traps and will be a disaster down the road. If it were me, and you can get a sump in and out with the tank setup, I woudl start with the new sump, and make plans to use my 50 gallon tank for a new sump once everything is settled. and the 20 as a fuge.
6. 20 L is too TOO TOO small. you must be sure you have room for the back flow in case of power outage.
the inside of my stand is not lined, but you may want to seal it up and paint it with a water proof paint. do this outside... stinky!!!
7. now seeing that your current tank has ICH, dont use anything from it. rock, sand everything is contaminated unless left fallow for 6 weeks.if you put this in your new tank, it must be FALLOW for 6 weeks. otherwise, it is the same as putting fish in an already infected tank.

OK, now that the questions are answered....
1. the Corallife Super skimmer is TOO small of one for this tank. get something gibber and better.
2. Thats a TON of light for that tank. i have the same setup but with half the t-5's and none of the LED's. I can burn the snot out of some corals.
3. MY sump and all equip are outside in the garage. since you only mentioned putting the chiller outside, that IMO is a great idea. just remember. your are cutting a hole in your house. but will definately get the heat and noise out of the house. I would do it. the ballasts, not so much. mine are inside my stand. while warm to my touch, I dont worry about them.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions???
Can you buy 150 gallons of saltwater from one of the stores?
If your going to be having a 180G it would be in your best interest to purchase an RODI unit and salt buckets and mix your own, This will save you alot of money in the long run.
Would the cost be outrageous for this water?
If you were buying the water in my area it wouldnt be cheap
Should I move my 75 gallons of water from my old tank to the new one?
When i switched from my 55 to 180 i didnt use any of it.
Should I use my current sand or all new?
For the most part i used new sand, only a little of the old to get things going. I personally didnt like the look of my old sand tho.
If I use new sand and all my rock/corals do i have to cycle the tank again?
Not sure if your saying your using your existing rock or new. With mine i used 90 percent of my old rock along with alot more dry from marcorocks
If I blend my sand into new sand do I have to cycle tank?
Not necessarily IMO
New sump is wet/dry with bio balls? Good or bad?
Bad
With 180G DT I'm thinking 20G long for Phosban/ Carbon / protein skimmer/ chiller/ heaters.
I have my heaters, MAG 18, NAC7 Skimmer and GFO Reactor in or coming out of a 20L for my equipment, Linked to that i have another 20L used as a refugium.
Should I line the inside of the stand with something to contain any leaks?
I primed and painted the inside of mine just to be safe.
Have a sea cucumber in the sand bed can it live in new sand?
Thats iffy. If it was me id see if i could find a friend to hold on to it till your tanks a little more mature.
Fish (4) will be in quartine for a week around the move to treat for ich.
If I add new fish to the crew, all at the same time in a new tank, would that be bad?
Add your existing fish then after a few weeks if everythings going well add more :)
I'm thinking clean-up crew can go right in snails and crabs?
RGR
Now my head hurts again....:sad:
I went from a 55>180 a few months ago. Overall it wasnt to bad. Just take your time with it and you will be fine. When it comes time to switch, One thing i will say tho is start heating the 180 water as soon as you can. I made the mistake of putting the heaters in last and youd be amazed how long it takes several 250w heaters to warm up the 180 gallons from the temp it was at.

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update sold the 180 tank and stand and moved into a 125 with bean animal. Thanks for all the advice the move went well and now 2 weeks young..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back