Fallow question

gongshow1988

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
119
Reaction score
67
Location
michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick back story. I am upgrading my current reef tank to a larger new one in the next week. I will be transferring all of the rock, CUC and obviously corals. I will be using all new sand for the new tank. Current tank is about 18 months old. I have a fish that has ich. Planning on pulling the fish out when doing the transfer and putting the fish into a separate QT tank for treatment with copper power. I’ve read that the best fallow period is 77 days. Does this still hold true even if I am discarding all of the current sand and replacing it? Thanks in advance!
 
Quick back story. I am upgrading my current reef tank to a larger new one in the next week. I will be transferring all of the rock, CUC and obviously corals. I will be using all new sand for the new tank. Current tank is about 18 months old. I have a fish that has ich. Planning on pulling the fish out when doing the transfer and putting the fish into a separate QT tank for treatment with copper power. I’ve read that the best fallow period is 77 days. Does this still hold true even if I am discarding all of the current sand and replacing it? Thanks in advance!
yes, ich can survive on surfaces other than sand.
 
Quick back story. I am upgrading my current reef tank to a larger new one in the next week. I will be transferring all of the rock, CUC and obviously corals. I will be using all new sand for the new tank. Current tank is about 18 months old. I have a fish that has ich. Planning on pulling the fish out when doing the transfer and putting the fish into a separate QT tank for treatment with copper power. I’ve read that the best fallow period is 77 days. Does this still hold true even if I am discarding all of the current sand and replacing it? Thanks in advance!
76 days was an old rule and while you can do 76, 6-8 weeks is sufficient as it assures the life cycle of parasites are completed and they die off without a host fish. Do not use any of the tank water to set up new tank as it is now known to have protozoans
 
yes, ich can survive on surfaces other than sand.
Thanks for the reply. I know that it can survive on other surfaces. I just figured the sand bed would be more of a hotspot.
 
76 days was an old rule and while you can do 76, 6-8 weeks is sufficient as it assures the life cycle of parasites are completed and they die off without a host fish. Do not use any of the tank water to set up new tank as it is now known to have protozoans
Thank you! I was planning on using all new water. But glad to hear I can do 6-8 weeks VS the 76 days!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new