1st non-kit aquarium set up...help please!

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just recently purchased a 75g tank and I am wanting to get it set up for some semi-aggressive fish, live rock, and potentially coral after awhile. I think I'm pretty much sold on an eshopps R200 refugium...now to find a protein skimmer. Looking at Reef Octopus classic 150int (12 x 8.5 x 22.13 footprint - up to 150 gallon) or Reef Octopus 110int (10.4 x 7 x 19.68 footprint - up to 130 gallon). Supposedly the fuge can hold approx 30 gallons of water, which would bring me to a total of 105 for the entire system.

1st question - would the 150int be too much of a skimmer?
2nd question - the fuge supposedly has 11.5 x 13.5 room in the skimmer compartment. With plumbing, would I even have room for the 150...or does the footprint measurements take plumbing into consideration?
3rd question - the tank is not drilled (and I'm not going to drill it as it would void the warranty). Any recommendations on an overflow box and pump?
4th question - any other recommendations? I'm considering putting a harlequin tusk, snowflake eel and a small puffer at least in the tank. Hopefully if this experience goes well I'll be looking to buy a bigger tank depending on black Friday deals :)

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!!

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to your questions...
1) the 150 would not be too much. You want to go a size up from what's rated because the skimmer rating is usually overly optimistic.
2) it will probably be tight, there are some Reef Octopus and Aqua Maxx space saver models that have a smaller footprint for their rating.
3) CPR makes a couple really good overflow boxes
4) Make your decision on fish only with live rock FOWLR or if you'll also put coral in the tank. It makes a big difference in the lighting you'll need. A lot of folks end up replacing initial purchases because they didn't plan what they were going to keep right up front.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 110 on about 60 gallons of water and I love it to death! That being said I'm not sure I'd trust it on much more water if you have large fish or lots of them. If you read the manual it says 130 gallons with lite stocking.
I can't comment on the sump, never wanted to spend that much money and I'd rather make my own the way I want it. But the hob fuge on the other hand, I got the large size cpr fuge. It's OK. Wouldn't buy it again though. Real hard to get down into and suck out the detritus and again they are expensive for what it is.

OP
OP
Steve Maxwell

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna keep looking for skimmers that have a little smaller footprint yet suitable for at least 150 gallons (don't think I'm going to go with the 110). I had planned on buying more powerful lights that needed to begin with...I'll likely add coral, but it's gonna depend on what fish I actually end up getting.

Any other suggestions?

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back