1st tank, 1st fish, and they look stressed?

DonF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, brand new to hobby. Getting lots of help from local store, and just added two clowns to a Red Reefer 170 that’s been cycling for a month. (Diatom bloom started subsiding a few days before adding them. Water tests out fine.)

Anyway, the fish are just cowering in the corner. Turned power head way down and tried moving it from the left side of tank to the back. They’re not interested in food. They’ve been in for 48 hours, now.

Normal?

3b57f1677500c5f6a24b812e696b3f9b.jpg

5fb71fc1491a195cb7b29c69dd0880b2.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, brand new to hobby. Getting lots of help from local store, and just added two clowns to a Red Reefer 170 that’s been cycling for a month. (Diatom bloom started subsiding a few days before adding them. Water tests out fine.)

Anyway, the fish are just cowering in the corner. Turned power head way down and tried moving it from the left side of tank to the back. They’re not interested in food. They’ve been in for 48 hours, now.

Normal?

Welcome to reef2reef!
If the tank is cycled, it's typical for fish to take sometime to acclimate to their surroundings. Just be patient for a day or so longer.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are having problems.

Did you get them from a fish store? We’re you able to see if they wer eating at the store. If they were, find out what the store was feeding them. They may just not like the food you are giving them. If they still are not eating you can try to add a garlic supplement to the food.

Hope they start 3ating

And welcome to the forum, keep updating us.

OP
OP
D

DonF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talked to fish store. He says normal, and that they’re adjusting. Said they should start eating in the next 48hrs and to just give them time. I’ll update in a couple of days. Thanks, everyone.

cvanchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes fish will act this way as they’re acclimating to their surroundings. The question I have for you is did you cycle the tank using RODI water or tap water? What are your current parameters for ammonia pH nitrite nitrate and salinity?

OP
OP
D

DonF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes fish will act this way as they’re acclimating to their surroundings. The question I have for you is did you cycle the tank using RODI water or tap water? What are your current parameters for ammonia pH nitrite nitrate and salinity?

Yes, RODI in the ATO. “Carib Sea-Pure” sea water to start the tank: Carib Sea-Pure Purified Seawater 4.4gal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LO7JYG/ (don’t worry, purchased from LFS for a fraction of that price!)

Just did a 25% water change with Sea Pure.

Water tests a-ok.

Fish still haven’t moved. (Well, they moved a bit while doing the water change, but then went back to their corner.)

cvanchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, RODI in the ATO. “Carib Sea-Pure” sea water to start the tank: Carib Sea-Pure Purified Seawater 4.4gal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LO7JYG/ (don’t worry, purchased from LFS for a fraction of that price!)

Just did a 25% water change with Sea Pure.

Water tests a-ok.

Fish still haven’t moved. (Well, they moved a bit while doing the water change, but then went back to their corner.)

At this point just wait it out check your water make sure all your parameters are in order and just give them time to acclimate

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Normal?

Completely normal if normal is ever a thing with clowns. It is very common for clowns to be hosted by a corner of the tank, a powerhead or anything else they take a fancy to. Feed a small amount a couple of times a day with mysis via a turkey baster near the clowns or flake and they should start showing an interest soon.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred clowns act odd for a while pretty often. I think it takes them some time to adjust to not being cramped with a bunch of other fry in small tanks.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Clowns are funny lil jerks as they will stress you out worrying about things when they are just being clowns. Just wait till they start eating and start to recognize you, they will swim around the tank begging for food like a dog and everyone will swear you need to feed them lol. Mine do it every time I have guests over and they look at me like do you feed them and I have to be the jerk that's says nope they got that fat looking at the tub of food through the glass here's your sign lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DonF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. They’re much happier today, and ate. Figured out that after placing some food with a baster and walking to the other side of the room they come out of hiding. What a relief.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, typical clown behavior.

Mine even after 5 years, several BTA's, several large rockflowers(not that those are a natural host), some coral colonies, and everything else they are known to host in, mine still host the upper right corner of my tank. They will only swim about 5 inches from that spot, unless chasing food.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back