2,000 gallon set up

Kyle Dawson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, i recently bought a house that hasn't been built just yet. I had an idea about using a gas hot water heater and found a video of 1 of the members here. Just wanted to see if anyone could help me with ideas on how to use gas to heat my 2 2,000 gallon aquariums?
Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, i recently bought a house that hasn't been built just yet. I had an idea about using a gas hot water heater and found a video of 1 of the members here. Just wanted to see if anyone could help me with ideas on how to use gas to heat my 2 2,000 gallon aquariums?
Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

Not sure on your heating question, but hopefully another member will post with what you're looking for.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Check out titanium heat exchangers to use with the gas water heater and the aquariums. Many owners with larger tanks use them as a more efficient way of heating larger systems. They can be uses as a closed loop system or a secondary system off the primary home water heater.

OP
OP
K

Kyle Dawson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Check out titanium heat exchangers to use with the gas water heater and the aquariums. Many owners with larger tanks use them as a more efficient way of heating larger systems. They can be uses as a closed loop system or a secondary system off the primary home water heater.

Ok I will definitely look into that. Thanks

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building chillers and heat pumps for many years for aquariums.
What part of the country are you in and how cold does it get where you are?
I have several 2000ish gallon heat pumps running in Florida.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building chillers and heat pumps for many years for aquariums.
What part of the country are you in and how cold does it get where you are?
I have several 2000ish gallon heat pumps running in Florida.

I suggested that he look into a heat pump, but was unsure if it would be enough heat. I thought maybe a modified mini split would work. Or are there better ways of building them?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system totals ~1600 gallons and I use a PEX heating loop off of the natural gas hot water heater in my home. I have made a few videos about the heating setup I am using which can be found here: I find that this system has been working well and definitely saves a lot of $$$ compared to electric heating.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system totals ~1600 gallons and I use a PEX heating loop off of the natural gas hot water heater in my home. I have made a few videos about the heating setup I am using which can be found here: I find that this system has been working well and definitely saves a lot of $$$ compared to electric heating.

I prefer using titanium instead of pex for a few reasons, but the systems do work really well- I run one myself. But a heat pump should be just as cost effective and should be able to cool as well.

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most heat pumps are good down to around 28 degrees F. Lower and there just isn't enough heat in the air. Some of the mini splits claim to be able to work much lower. I am not sure if the variable speed compressors make this possible or not. I don't generally like mini splits since the materials used are pretty marginal.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW! Welcome to R2R!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back