2.1 Gallon Pico Reef Build

culvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my new tinker project I started cycling a couple of days ago. It’s perched on my office desk to provide me with a little eye candy when working from home.

I could’ve taken the easy route and cycled with live rock from my display tank but I’m a big advocate of using dry rock and exercising patience. I have no problem with waiting a few weeks to allow for a proper bacterial colony to build up.

I’m hoping that my local reef pal will join in on the fun with me and join this pico reef challenge. Hopefully he sees this post and gets ahold of me soon…

The plan for now is to go with some softies, LPS, and maybe even some foolproof SPS. Given that I have good filtration, flow, and lighting, the only limitations of this little pico setup is my willingness to adhere to a strict maintenance and water top-off schedule.

If anyone else wants to join in on the fun, here’s my gear list. The majority of it was purchased on Amazon.

I’ll post updates as the tank progresses. Please don’t snap at me for having the light on during the cycle as I only turned it on for the photos.

Aquarium: BEGONDIS Rimless Low Iron, Glass Aquarium, 2.1-gallon

Background: Black latex paint (two coats)

Light: Lominie Nano Aqaurium Light Saltwater Full Spectrum Aquarium Lamp for Coral Reef Fish Tank with Remote Controller(Saltwater, Asta 20)

Wifi Light Controller: Lominie WiFi Controller for Upgraded S20 P30 S120 P80 Saltwater Aquarium Light (WiFi - 4 Channels)
Background: Black latex paint (two coats)

Lid: 8x10 piece of glass from Menards

Filter: Azoo Mignon Filter 60 (hang-on-back)

Filter Media: Generic filter sponges that came with Azoo filter. May use filter floss and some carbon after cycle, if needed for clarity.

Circulation: HISP USB Water Pump fountain pump Submersible Water Pump 3W for Pet fountain pet Water Dispenser DC 3.5-9V Water Fountain Pump

Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Aquarium Sand

Rock: Marco Rock (dry)

Cycling Additives: DrTim’s Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycling – Fish Tank Cleaner for Saltwater, Freshwater & Reef Aquariums AND Fritz Aquatics FritzZyme 9 Nitrifying Bacteria for Salt Water Aquariums

Salt: Aquavitro Salinity

70110D42-B856-4E9E-97F7-535667CE56FC.jpeg B39A1669-7B70-4D3C-89EC-5827486C3096.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool desktop setup.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back