2.5 dwarf seahorse pico

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been wanting to keep seahorses for a while and had bought a 30g hex to do so, but have since scraped it due to the other tanks I have taking up space. I've been reading up on dwarf seahorses however and can do a little tank of them without the space issues, now I just gotta practice my brine shrimp hatching/de-capping skills and I should be good to go. I've started this project already, but won't put in any seahorses until I'm confident I can maintain their food source for a while, but in the mean time I'll setup their home and let the pod population grow and get the minor tweaks I will need to make to make it work.

I bought a little 2.5g tank from petsmart,

IMG_4833.jpg

Also bought a Marineland LED light that goes over the 2.5 perectly along with a Marineland maxi jet 400

IMG_4843.jpg

Then bought some paper holding trays from office max that were made out of black acrylic and broke off the false walls for the tank

IMG_4829.jpg

The small piece of acrylic is for keeping the pump from twisting around in the back too much

IMG_4850.jpg

The other two walls will contain the macro, one wall to separate it, the other to hopefully stop any microbubbles from getting back to the main display if my thinkings right? I'm using Loctite to hold the walls in place first

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

Then I'll use silicone to seal up any gaps between the walls.

Worlds worst silicone job

IMG_4863.jpg

I meant to get clear, but it doesn't really matter since I'm going to black out the outside of the tank where everything behind the false wall is. So far that's all I've done. Giving the walls time to heal before I shove my clumsy hands back in there to do the other two. Then I'll test for any leaks and test out the pump to figure out my flow situation. Thanks for looking updates soon to come!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see this progress, I thought about keeping dwarves but I didn't want to deal with having to hatch brine. How do you plan on controlling heat?

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gitsoe, it'll be H. zosterae. Adult size is 1.5. Gar, I hope the temp will stay below 78. If not, then I'll just point my fan this direction to cool it off. If not that, then I'll try and figure out how to drill the glass and put the pump on the outside of the tank, although this tank is very small so that might not be possible. We'll see once the walls are in place what will happen.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the flow on that ph. I have one and its pretty strong. Just wondering how much it will be on that little tank. Looks good. Cool 2.5 all-in-one build.

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tested it yet. I still have to install the other two walls before I can do that. If it's too much then I'll chop a couple of propellers off to try and slow it down.

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the other wall tonight, didn't silicone it though as I'm too tired to try and mess with that.

IMG_4869.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. First time doing a pico. I'm a little nervous to see how much water evaporates and how high the temps will get.

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my setup for making brine shrimp for the SHs. I plan on getting one or two more hatcheries.

IMG_4893.jpg

Finished putting all the walls in the tank and siliconed it all up, then painted the outside of it today. It took a whole can so the light wouldn't shine through anymore. I'll test it for leaks tomorrow.

IMG_4919.jpg

I had to re-tape it to put more coats on and I guess I missed a few spots this time :beat_shot:

IMG_4924.jpg

I'll also trim some of the ugly off as well :beat_brick:

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, me either. I'm going to start to attempt to decapsulating brine shrimp eggs here sometime this week. Once I get the hang of that and I figure out how to scape the tank I hope to get some ponies in there!

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a small rock pile for some shrooms or zoos, some macro and a gorg or dead sea fan in the rest of the room for hitching posts.

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put water in it this morning. I'm going to see what the temp reaches when I get home tonight then decide what to do if it's too high. It's already digging a hole in the sand at the far end so I know I'll have to slow down the flow. Tomorrow I'll try decapsulating brine shrimp eggs.

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back home with a new pump, mini jet 404, and snapped a few pics of the different flow coming out of them. The baffles combined with the new pump, which has a built in flow control, is perfect with a little bit of surface agitation and no more sand dunes. I'd like to hear from someone if 80 is too hot for dwarves.

IMG_4969.jpg

without baffles

IMG_4967.jpg

with baffles

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optimal temp would be 68-74. If you keep them in higher temps they become more prone to infections. I would suggest trying to figure out a way to keep the temp down. Try and run it without the cover and see if that brings the temp down any.

OP
OP
twiggyb

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally getting some diatoms I believe. I threw in some macro about a week ago when there was still some ammonia in the tank. I'm seeing if the lights are strong enough for them. I don't think some of them are going to make it, but we'll see. Here's some pics. I don't know if I like the placement, but I don't know if I will have a choice once everything starts growing :lol:

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back