How much space behind tank?

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270. My now ex-wife made me put it up against the wall with no space for maintenance, and now I have a slow leak. I have to drain 95% of the water if I am going to move it even a fraction of an inch. So when I finally do, I want to put it a reasonable distance from the wall where it won't move again until I sell the house. Can anyone tell me from experience what the best distance is? I don't want it any further into the room than necessary.

The acrylic is not actually touching the wall, I have a 1 inch pipe that is touching both the wall and the acrylic.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 40 setting on a cabinet that I made for it. The cabinet is 4” from the wall, the actual tank is about 5” from the wall.
If I was doing it again I would put the cabinet at least 5” from the wall.

That said, I don’t have a sump so all of my power strips are screwed to the back of the cabinet, making it somewhat difficult to plug/unplug things.

If I brought it out another inch or two I don’t think it would look weird.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270. My now ex-wife made me put it up against the wall with no space for maintenance, and now I have a slow leak. I have to drain 95% of the water if I am going to move it even a fraction of an inch. So when I finally do, I want to put it a reasonable distance from the wall where it won't move again until I sell the house. Can anyone tell me from experience what the best distance is? I don't want it any further into the room than necessary.

The acrylic is not actually touching the wall, I have a 1 inch pipe that is touching both the wall and the acrylic.
I like to be able to walk behind my tanks if I have any say. The width required depends upon ones girth.

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to be able to walk behind my tanks if I have any say. The width required depends upon ones girth.
I second the man, the myth, the legend @KrisReef
It makes a world of difference being to walk behind a tank and bonus points if you can fit a little step stool back there as well.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This was a big mistake for me on my Red Sea Max 500. I don't think I will ever have less than 7-8 inches behind a tank again, ever. There are so many reasons for this. All of which bit me in the butt.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Seems everyone is much more generous with space than I am. I thought I'd get answers between a quarter inch and 2 inches. I agree walking behind the tank would be useful, but I don't think it makes sense for a 4' tank in this room. I will probably go around 2 inches.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 5’ long and it’s about 5 inches off the wall. Another 2 would be nice. I have an external over flow and was concerned it would look bad, but honestly no one even notices how far off the wall is. I some salt creep at a bulk head where the over flow connect and if I want to fix it would be possible but difficult. Another couple inches would have helped.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least enough room to get your arm behind it or rearrange everything so it's all easily accessable even if the system is against the wall.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I screwed myself when I built my tank 20 years ago by putting it too close to the wall. To make matters worse it is close to a corner too so I have no access the back or one side. I've worked around most problems, but if I could do it again I'd pull it another two inches away from the wall. Nothing I can do about the corners.

So, long winded way of saying make sure you can get your arm back there with some room to spare. Mine is so close I can't install any Vortech pumps because the dry sides won't fit.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think 6” should be the absolute minimum, personally speaking from experience with both salt and fresh. What a headache I created with my Max. I’m doing a multi tank consolidation into 1 96x36 peninsula. I plan to actually cut a doorway behind the tank, like an access door.

GreyJediReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been learning everything by trial and error and lots of storming around upset.

This is another one.

I built my cabinet for a 145gal put everything in and months later, decided to get a sump for under. Wish I knew what space I’d need down the road but hindsight is 20/20.

Plumbing my sump became a nightmare and so many times I found myself wishing I left more room behind the tank. (Currently only about 3 inches)

Asides from doing exactly what you said and emptying pretty much everything, I’m just doing the best I can to work around the nightmare I created.

I’m moving at the end of the year, and when I set this thing back up, I’m definitely going to give myself enough room to work with so that I can access the back side of my tank/cabinet without crawling around underneath it and cursing like a sailor

BlueSkyAT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Seems everyone is much more generous with space than I am. I thought I'd get answers between a quarter inch and 2 inches. I agree walking behind the tank would be useful, but I don't think it makes sense for a 4' tank in this room. I will probably go around 2 inches.
Why go to all that trouble to move it 1 inch?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I have 4-5" to allow clearance for cords and magnets and lines from UV unit

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back