2.5g Refugium only sump // W/O Baffles???

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, I have a Red Sea Max nano AIO 20g display tank. I’m planning on adding a 2.5g refugium only sump with out baffles. This will only be to keep Chaeto algae. I will not be using a skimmer and with not be plumbing.

*My question is will I be ok with just running a small 85gph return pump with 1/2 “ line and another 85gph pump from my main display Feeding back into the new sump?? Any help or constructive criticism is welcome!

thanks gang!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand what you want to try and do, I think you run the risk of getting the pump in the refugium clogged with macro algae. You can try to protect it in all kinds of ways, but long term, if you don't do VERY regular cleaning around the return pump, it will get clogged.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pumps will never match flow rates. One will always be slightly off. You need to use gravity to get the water down then pump the water back up. That way, anything that gets pumped up gets matched by what flows down. Physics! :)

aquapaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning something similar but only putting the 2.5 gallon above the tank, use a small pump to pump water into the refugium and letting gravity add it back to the tank, gives you the benefit of not pushing pods around with a pump as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back