2 Black Snowflake clowns; Opinions?

Siguun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was just looking to get some opinions on the situation I have on hand at the moment. About a month ago I got 2 black snowflake clowns. One came from a tank where it already had a mate (we will call this Clownfish A. It was the bigger of the two so I'll go ahead and assume it was female) and the other came from a tank where it was alone (Clownfish B). Now I understand this was my first mistake. I should have just gotten the pair but I really wanted both to be black snowflakes. So when I introduced both of them I had to put up a divider in the tank because Clownfish A was really beating up Clownfish B (ripping up pretty much all his fins). Eventually, and oddly enough, Clownfish B found out a way to get around the divider (it was eggcrate and there was a small gap in the front) so I ended up removing the divider all together. Clownfish A still picks on B time to time but the aggression has died down a lot (except during feeding... clownfish A really bullies B during this time). So the big worry was I had two females and they were never going to pair, but really weird things started happening so I decided to just keep them both for now. So we'll fast forward to now so I can explain the situation at hand. My assumption was if they were both female they would BOTH fight each other which in that case I would remove and return one. This is not the case though =\. Clownfish B NEVER fights back and always runs away. The weird thing is Clownfish A will chase B into a corner then start doing the wiggle dance (I have no idea what the technical term is called). Then B will take this time to run away... There have been times though, rarely but it has happened several times, where clownfish A will corner B and B will do the submission dance and A will do the dance back, but then they will swim their separate ways again??? What in the world is going on right now... They both eat a lot (when A lets B eat) and they both seem relatively happy (besides the bullying). It has been about a month and Clownfish B shows no signs of wanting to go anywhere near A, and A just keeps chasing B around and wiggling at it while B just runs away constantly. Now that it has been a while A doesn't chase B nearly as much but does lunge at B time to time. Also I have noticed that B's fins that were healing are being nipped at again. Is it possible that B is female even though it does not fight back? Even though B at times will wiggle back?? I am just looking to get some opinions from everyone one what they think if B is female and just doesn't fight back or should I give it some more time and see what happens? They are the only 2 fish in the tank (29g biocube) with some corals. I guess I just find it odd because from what I read if you have 2 females they will fight each other till one dies and from what I am seeing this is a one way bullying and even then the bully is the one that is doing the shaking most the time which really just throws me off. Thanks again and sorry for the long post!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a decent quality pic of the size of these two?

OP
OP
S

Siguun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a decent quality pic of the size of these two?

At the moment I don't have a good picture but I will try and take one when I get home. I do though have a short video of them when I first introduced them to the tank.

Edit: not sure if this pic is good. If not I'll take another when I get home.

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, this'll work just fine.

mcd7HOC.png

The one with the Orange face I'm 99% sure is female. The other one is super borderline. The fact that it is over 3/4 of her size would lead me to lean that the other one is as well. Don't get me wrong, the other one is large enough that it may just be super stubborn. Other than giving it more time (I know it's been a month already) I'm not sure I have a solid answer for your.

As they continue to grow and the female limits the food of the other one more the size difference should continue to increase and if the other one hasn't turned yet it will eventually give in.

OP
OP
S

Siguun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, this'll work just fine.

mcd7HOC.png

The one with the Orange face I'm 99% sure is female. The other one is super borderline. The fact that it is over 3/4 of her size would lead me to lean that the other one is as well. Don't get me wrong, the other one is large enough that it may just be super stubborn. Other than giving it more time (I know it's been a month already) I'm not sure I have a solid answer for your.

As they continue to grow and the female limits the food of the other one more the size difference should continue to increase and if the other one hasn't turned yet it will eventually give in.

Thanks for the reply! I'll closely watch over the next couple months and see what happens. Also yes orange faced one is the bully =/.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back