Clownfish fighting when lights go out but fine during the day, do I have two females?

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently consolidated my two nano tanks which meant introducing my two Ocellaris clownfish to each other. The bigger of the two I'm pretty sure is a female, she was a dominant fish at the lfs when I bought her and she's now about 2.75-3 inches big and beefy. The other clown (a good deal smaller) I've had from juvenile for about 2 years - it used to have a tank mate that sadly jumped a while ago so it's been living on it's own - I don't believe those two ever paired though the remaining was the more dominant fish. Bearing this in mind I knew there was a chance both clowns are female, but I thought there may be a chance the smaller clown never fully matured while it had a tank mate.

They have now been in the same tank for almost two weeks. The first two days the bigger clown did some chasing, which I fully expected, but it subsided fairly quickly. The bigger clown does the classic challenge and wiggle, waiting the the smaller to do the submit and wiggle, which it does though not every time. During the day the clowns are largely peaceful apart from these occasional instances of challenge/wiggle. I was thinking I may have lucked out and can keep them together.

The problem comes once the tank lights go out - then the bigger clown really starts harassing the smaller to the point the smaller retaliates, and I have seen them do some lip locking. This doesn't go on long, and once I turn all the room lights out they find their spots and sleep. No serious damage is done, fins aren't frayed, but the pre-sleep aggression is worrying me.

Would a male clown ever fight back/defend itself? The smaller clown submits/wiggles during the day but when really confronted at night fights back. How long should I leave them together before calling it quits?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will know if you have 2 females because they are significantly larger then males.

And yes, my male clown straight up bit my female clowns mouth one time that it got swollen and i had to use a round of kanaplex to let it heal.

OP
OP
Chasselti

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will know if you have 2 females because they are significantly larger then males.

And yes, my male clown straight up bit my female clowns mouth one time that it got swollen and i had to use a round of kanaplex to let it heal.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm hoping that because they are largely peaceful this is the case and it may work out.

My thinking is that if they were both female they'd be fighting constantly and it would be very obvious by now... ?

OP
OP
Chasselti

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was the og clownfish on its own as well can help tell if it’s female but lip locking is not a good sign
I've had it since Nov 2021 and it's been on it's own for least 6 months, possibly a bit longer. No lip locking during the day and it does wiggle for the bigger clown, only fights when provoked once the lights go out. It doesn't have much interest in following the bigger clown around during the day though.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also fought when the lights went out when they were young. After about a month one started to yield to the other and do the little shaky dance, and then they calmed down. Now it's pretty obvious who the male and female is.

OP
OP
Chasselti

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've had the smaller / male alone for two years it's most likely female even if it is smaller.

Thanks, it seems like a second tank might be on the cards again. I expected constant fighting with two females but maybe the size difference is the only thing maintaining peace at the moment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back