Allard Clownfish behavior

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two Allard Clowns for a couple of months. They were in the same tank at the LFS but not listed as a pair. One bigger and one smaller.

They have hung around each other since day one. Almost two weeks ago I got a RBTA and they went in it almost before I could put it down on a rock. They both mushed around in it until a couple of days ago. Noe the bigger one is in the nem and the other has been on the other side of the tank mostly. This is new behavior. Even if he (I guess) goes back top the other side of the tank, he may go near the nem but not go in it. A little while ago the larger clown was over the other side of the tank and was somewhat chasing.

So is this basically the larger one changing to female and then pairing up?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I am not an expert on the behavioral patterns of clowns and can't say anything for sure. That said, if things get too aggressive between the two of them, you can try putting the larger in a breeder box and let the smaller have run of the tank (and nem) for a while. I had to do this with a "pair" of mia tia clowns (maroon X ocillaris), and it was effective.

Hopefully some clown experts can chime in!

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing physical. Occasional chasing.

Maroons are another story. The personality of a great white but in a clownfish body. :)

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Allard's did the same thing when I recently introduced a Merten's anemone. They are still bonded but she sleeps in the nem and he sleeps alone near my hammers. During the day, they do their normal thing and hang out while she occasionally dives in the nem. I think the behavior you are seeing is normal...no worries. Your pair are already bonded or she would have dispensed with him before now. BTW my pair are both about the same size but they have already decided who is male and who is female.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back