Clownfish breathing very quickly

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve had a pair of clowns for about 2 months until the one that was bigger started bullying the smaller one, not just to show dominance though, by the end of two weeks the smaller clown was swimming sideways at the top of the tank and his fins were all torn up and the bigger clown would not stop. So i took the bigger one back and got a smaller one to re-pair. He hasn’t looked too good since I got him though (video attached) I got him about 3 days ago-he has also not eaten yet and he is not being bullied by the now bigger clown. Any advice is much appreciated

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most people can’t see this video format. Upload on Youtube, white light, at least 20 seconds.

#f#fishmedic#j#jayhemdalv#vetteguy53081
Even pictures would be ok. Clowns - in general - can have these types of 'fights' and one can kill the other. More history/pictures would really help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve had a pair of clowns for about 2 months until the one that was bigger started bullying the smaller one, not just to show dominance though, by the end of two weeks the smaller clown was swimming sideways at the top of the tank and his fins were all torn up and the bigger clown would not stop. So i took the bigger one back and got a smaller one to re-pair. He hasn’t looked too good since I got him though (video attached) I got him about 3 days ago-he has also not eaten yet and he is not being bullied by the now bigger clown. Any advice is much appreciated

It is breathing REALLY fast, looks like it came to you with some gill disease, it didn't catch it from your fish, that one is fine, right? I would contact the store and ask them if they are having any issues with their fish. It could be an acclimation issue, but I think that after three days, that would have sorted itself out by now.

The trouble is, there are multiple causes of gill diseases in clownfish, and I don't have any way to direct you in a direction to go.....

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is breathing REALLY fast, looks like it came to you with some gill disease, it didn't catch it from your fish, that one is fine, right? I would contact the store and ask them if they are having any issues with their fish. It could be an acclimation issue, but I think that after three days, that would have sorted itself out by now.

The trouble is, there are multiple causes of gill diseases in clownfish, and I don't have any way to direct you in a direction to go.....
update: the lil guy died over night, or at least i’m 99% sure, he is nowhere to be found and he was in really rough shape last night… Also, yes my other clown is perfectly fine.. So one more question.. the clown i’ve always had who was getting brutally torn up by what i’m assuming was the female, when I got this newer clown who is noticeably smaller the bigger clown was still submitting itself to the smaller one. should I get a larger clown for the existing one now or a smaller one again? Thanks so much for the response and I apologize for the long message.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - it is clear to me, how many clowns are in the tank now?

I would not add a new fish for at least a month after losing a fish to an unknown problem. There is just too high of a risk that what killed the first clown is contagious.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - it is clear to me, how many clowns are in the tank now?

I would not add a new fish for at least a month after losing a fish to an unknown problem. There is just too high of a risk that what killed the first clown is contagious.
just one, the first I ever got, all other fish seem fine but good point I don't know what that clown had.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back