2 Cheap 200w aqueon heaters bringing 75 gallon tank to 75°, looking for recommendations.

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

As the subject says I have a 75 gallon tank which I'm currently cycling. I was using an old eheim Jager heater however I know that this heater is stuck in the on position and way undersized. I threw that out and I went to my local Petco and I got two of the preset (to 78°) 200 watt aqueon heaters. They were about $23 a piece and I assumed that would be good enough for this tank. The problem is three separate thermometers show temperatures ranging from 75 to 76.1°. I went oversized on the wattage because it's November in PA and it does get cold. Ambient room temperature in my house is anything from 66 to 68°. I even tried turning the heat up to 70° and about 2 days later the temperature did not rise at all. I'm assuming either I'm doing something wrong, 400 w can't bring up 75 gallons to 78° on this ambient temperature, or the heaters are just garbage. I even stuck a meat thermometer in the tank and got the same results as my digital thermometers. My cycle has been running for weeks despite me adding bacteria in the bottle as well as some of the ammonia drops as per the bottles instructions and I know warmer temperatures speed that up, problem is I can't get those warmer temperatures. if this is an issue of the heater is being garbage I was looking at getting another eheim heater from BRS and was planning on going with two of the 150 watt units. I'm just posting here to see if anybody has any recommendations that might save me another $50 on heaters. I appreciate any input.

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would upgrade to a bit bigger heater. I am running a 90 gallon and have a brs 300 watt with a brs 100 watt back up. A normal heater is not really built to keep the temperature any higher than 10 degrees above room temp.

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would upgrade to a bit bigger heater. I am running a 90 gallon and have a brs 300 watt with a brs 100 watt back up. A normal heater is not really built to keep the temperature any higher than 10 degrees above room temp.

I'm not very knowledgeable in aquarium heaters but wouldn't too 200 watt heaters do the same job as a 300 plus a 100? I don't deny that I need to do something because this isn't working I'm just curious as to how that works?

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they would, but if both is pushing and to close together it will give a false reading on the temp. Also if 1 is working harder it's slowing the other down. I have both of mine on brs controller, My 300 runs the tank and the 100 only kicks on if the 300 can't keep or if something happens and it doesn't kick on

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they would, but if both is pushing and to close together it will give a false reading on the temp. Also if 1 is working harder it's slowing the other down. I have both of mine on brs controller, My 300 runs the tank and the 100 only kicks on if the 300 can't keep or if something happens and it doesn't kick on

Well, I'll definitely grab a larger heater then. Thank you for letting me know. I'll see what I could do about the heater controller but I'll definitely grab a larger heater. Thank you for your info

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'll definitely grab a larger heater then. Thank you for letting me know. I'll see what I could do about the heater controller but I'll definitely grab a larger heater. Thank you for your info
Or spread them out

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back