Reef tank heater issue

aeceac6413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

We just started the cycle on our 60 g breeder. We have a Fiji sump in the bottom and put 2 Sicce Scuba 100W heaters in it. I can't see to get the water to go up in temperature- it's been sitting at or around 72 degrees for the last few days. The heaters were set at 76 degrees when we first put water in on Sunday. We bumped it up to 80 degrees 2 days ago and this morning we put it at 86 degrees but the temperature keeps going down. The cycling seems to be working fine. Ambient temperature in the house is about 68 degrees.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to set the heaters higher in temperature?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the heater cycling on/off or just staying on?

If the heater is never cycling it means there's not enough power to attain your desired temperature.

You could temporarily move one of the heaters to a smaller container (5 - 10 gallons) and see what temperature it achieves - so you can know what the set point actually ends up getting you (since the selected temperature doesn't always give you what it says it will)

OP
OP
A

aeceac6413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the heater cycling on/off or just staying on?

If the heater is never cycling it means there's not enough power to attain your desired temperature.

You could temporarily move one of the heaters to a smaller container (5 - 10 gallons) and see what temperature it achieves - so you can know what the set point actually ends up getting you (since the selected temperature doesn't always give you what it says it will)
It looks like the heaters turn on and off, the water just doesn't seem to get warm- including the water in the sump which I'd expect to be the warmest since the heaters are in the sump.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may just be underpowered. I would fill up bucket or brute and toss the heater in with a lid and see if it gets up to the desired temp that way.

Edit - just saw fishyjoes already recommended this!

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always test my heaters in a bucket of water before using them.

I set the heater to the desired temp and see how close it gets to that temp. You would be surprised how far off they can be. Also it isn't uncommon for a heater to not work out of the box sometimes. I bought a brand new heater once and it wouldn't even turn on.

Additionally I use a controller that turns off power to the heaters if things get too hot. Heaters can get stuck on and cook your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back