Heaters not Hitting the Max Temp

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have 120 gallon set up. I have my Ink bird set to T1 78.0 and T2 77.5 I have two 300W Titanium Heater Elements on it and it is running 24 hours. According to BRS website 600W should be able to handle up to 200 gallons. now during the day when I'm working i let my house go down to about 60 degrees but the tank even when i'm home and i have the heat on 72 this system never hits 78. Anyone have suggestions of why this is?

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the sump when it was new

Attachments

• image_50736897.JPG
    image_50736897.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 56

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is using averages and presuming your ambient temperature is higher?

EDIT: Also, a skimmer is like a forced air heater (or cooler) and low temps in the sump room will cool the water!

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question if youre getting enough flow through your sump. Where is the temp probe located?
one at the beginning of the sump and one at the end. The ambient temp and sump being a cooler makes since. my sump is in my basement and its cooler down the obviously. I guess Ill have to get a space heater?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your heaters the type that have a hard internal temperature preset?

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Correct, sorry. Because the small volume of water in the sump is hitting temp pretty quickly with those heaters and shutting them off never allowing tank temp to reach temp. I have my temp probe next to my overflow, furthest from the return

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, sorry. Because the small volume of water in the sump is hitting temp pretty quickly with those heaters and shutting them off never allowing tank temp to reach temp. I have my temp probe next to my overflow, furthest from the return
Also might help to put the temp probe in the incoming water chamber to reflect what the tank is experiencing vs the sump? (I am presuming the hose on the right of the sump is the incoming tank water? Direct the flow into a cup and put the probe in the cup?

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that's not it the Temp never gets high enough. It runs 24hrs a day. and never breaks 76.5 and its set to 80. I have pretty good flow in the sump I cant remember what it is but I know it was within specs when i set everything up. Ill check tonight.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Make sure both heaters are actually working. These BRS heaters are wonky; I have multiples because they cannot really be trusted. You have to plug them in though kill-a-watt type of meter to see if they are actually drawing power.

I've also noticed that the heaters are over rated where say 200W heater draws 191 watts, etc.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Also might help to put the temp probe in the incoming water chamber to reflect what the tank is experiencing vs the sump? (I am presuming the hose on the right of the sump is the incoming tank water? Direct the flow into a cup and put the probe in the cup?

The probes should indeed be where the water returns from the tank and not after the heater.

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also might help to put the
temp probe in the incoming water chamber to reflect what the tank is experiencing vs the sump? (I am presuming the hose on the right of the sump is the incoming tank water? Direct the flow into a cup and put the probe in the cup?
are you saying temporarily or permanently cause now i have the overflow in a filter sock
The probes should indeed be where the water returns from the tank and not after the heater.
ok So I need to run one to the display and how do i catch the temperature before it goes in the filter sock? someone said build a cup is there an example you can share with me?

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok So I need to run one to the display and how do i catch the temperature before it goes in the filter sock? someone said build a cup is there an example you can share with me?

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an example of how to do this? i have the overflow that gray vacuum tube going into the filter sock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an example of how to do this? i have the overflow that gray vacuum tube going into the filter sock.
If the sock is submerged then just put the probe in the sock where the water is flowing in. I would then check the temperature in the sock area compared to the DT and if they are close I think you will have better results.

No examples, but folks used to use a cup on the outflow of their calcium reactors and put the pH meter in there to control CO2 releasing into the reactor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back