2 Fish ID, Please

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these fish for probably well over a year. They were sold to me as a Phillipine Yellow Tang and a Bellus Angel.

However, I googled them a while back and while the Phillipine Tang (Fijian Mimic Lemonpeel Tang) may be right, it doesn't seem to have the right colors.

The Bellus is way the heck off.

I never really cared to know because they look nice and seem to be good tank mates, spending their days picking at rocks eating bits of algae. For whatever reason, I'm curious again.

I can't believe I got them both in the same shot, full side, right next to each other. Took me a while snapping pics over and over as they're constantly buzzing through the rock work and never sit still. Did my best shooting through an orange lens to get the best representation of their color as possible. Not perfect, but someone that knows should be able to figure it out.

So, any ideas?

Identify Tangs.jpg

OP
OP
D

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And confirming, the lemon peel would not be considered a bristletooth type of tang, such as a Kole? They have similar mouth structure, at least visually.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And confirming, the lemon peel would not be considered a bristletooth type of tang, such as a Kole? They have similar mouth structure, at least visually.
Correct - they're an Acanthurus genus tang like Powder Browns, Achilles, Clowns, Convicts, etc.; Kole tangs and other bristletooth tangs are Ctenochaetus genus.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these fish for probably well over a year. They were sold to me as a Phillipine Yellow Tang and a Bellus Angel.

However, I googled them a while back and while the Phillipine Tang (Fijian Mimic Lemonpeel Tang) may be right, it doesn't seem to have the right colors.

The Bellus is way the heck off.

I never really cared to know because they look nice and seem to be good tank mates, spending their days picking at rocks eating bits of algae. For whatever reason, I'm curious again.

I can't believe I got them both in the same shot, full side, right next to each other. Took me a while snapping pics over and over as they're constantly buzzing through the rock work and never sit still. Did my best shooting through an orange lens to get the best representation of their color as possible. Not perfect, but someone that knows should be able to figure it out.

So, any ideas?

Identify Tangs.jpg
Those are all names Ive seen for the tang, its also referred to as a chocolate tang. Philippine yellow tang is probably the more common one next to chocolate.

OP
OP
D

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - they're an Acanthurus genus tang like Powder Browns, Achilles, Clowns, Convicts, etc.; Kole tangs and other bristletooth tangs are Ctenochaetus genus.
Recently added a bunch of snails, and some bubble algae must have snuck in with the batch as the tank has been up for a long time and have never seen it before. I had read that bristletooths may eat it. My squaretail Kole does not, unfortunately, even those he's supposed to. Part of my recent curiosity was if either of these were reported to dine on bubble algae as well. Disappointed :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back