2 foot cube stocking - Wrasse?

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up a 60 gallon 2 foot cube tank pretty soon, and I know it has odd dimensions for swimming space, so I've chosen some fish that I know are relatively sedentary, so would probably do better in a tank with limited swimming room. This was the tank my pink streaked wrasse was meant to go in, but once I got the wrasse it escaped from the acclimation box, and now is living in my larger tank.

I'm moving the pair of ocellaris clownfish from my larger tank into here, because I'll have more time to view them where this tank is going. I also have a fair few orange/red/yellow fish in that tank, so I want to even it out colour wise.
A zebra barred dartfish or purple firefish.
Trio of green clown gobies.
I would love to have a wrasse in the system, but I'm unsure which wrasse that would do well in a 2 foot cube, so if anyone knows ones that would work, I'd be happy to hear it!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Lots of gallons, but small footprint. I'd have a pair of pinkies in there, but a possum might be cool.

@Slocke @i cant think any sand sleepers that would work in a 2' x 2' x 2'? Flashers and fairies might appreciate more length, but would a chrysus or a Macropharyngodon be fine in a cube?

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had thought of all those, my current pink streaked was meant to go in this tank, but got loose in my other tank. I was thinking maybe a juvenile chrysus, which could go into the 3 foot tank if it outgrows this one?
I would really like a flasher or fairy, but given that I'm not going to keep any flashers in my 3 foot tank because of how active they are, I don't think a 2 foot cube would be fair on them.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had thought of all those, my current pink streaked was meant to go in this tank, but got loose in my other tank. I was thinking maybe a juvenile chrysus, which could go into the 3 foot tank if it outgrows this one?
I would really like a flasher or fairy, but given that I'm not going to keep any flashers in my 3 foot tank because of how active they are, I don't think a 2 foot cube would be fair on them.
I think a small halichoeres would work. Or a possum or pink streak.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a small yellow coris would be a good choice. Otherwise, possum wrasses or pink streaks would probably be the best candidates.

Fairies and flashers would need more length, so the only other thing would be a six line. I’m always hesitant to recommend six lines because of their violent tendencies, but if you were to add one as the last fish, maybe there’s a chance that it would be a model citizen over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back